IGNORED

Where to go with this rusthole

Elliott000

Got this car off my buddys cousin for the cost of fuel to grab it. It's got lots of goodies for it and a rebuilt 3.0 stroker but it's also got a lot of rust in all the wrong places. My experience with vehicles is generally wheeling and building trucks. I've done some sheet metal work and have all the tools necessary bit i have no idea where to start or if I should bother.... See attached pics of the worst and hardest repair. The rest is basic metal cut n fit. What are these top frames called. Can they be fixed? I've seen a couple cars with these cut off and tubed.... Help! 20180422_123811.jpg20180422_123806.jpg20180422_123759.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Thanks for those numbers! The rest of the car isn't bad. The floors are pretty much finished, there's some rust on the rear quarters but available patch panels for them and the rockers will take care of that. Other wise good to go. It's kinda wierd that they are that trashed. Way she goes I guess. I think ill look around for the panels, if not my buddy was just here and we had a look at hand building them with multiple pieces asking a bead roller. Will take fab time but will work. I just want her to be structurally sound. Being as its under the fender I don't even mind if it's boxed and not round.

Fenders..... Thats another issue, the ones I've got are fiberglass but they are $^!# because they got cracked on the journey home. 8 gotta locate new ones, id prefer steel but fiberglass seems more readily available.

Good used fenders shouldn't be too hard to find if you decide to go that route.

@zKars  might be able to help out a fellow Canuck---he's in Calgary.

Reproduction fenders--no personal experience with them but at least available---shipping may be the larger problem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Steel-Fender-Left-Side-For-1970-1978-70-78-Datsun-240z-260z-280z-S30/253567983616?fits=Model%3A240Z&hash=item3b09d46000:g:AJ8AAOSwklJa1ju1&vxp=mtr

Man those look amazing, exactly what I will try to do. Just need to figure out how to shape em! My only concern is structure... Im used a body on a frame, if i cut that thing up just as pictured will there be movement that could screw things up when finished? Would I be best to pull it off the rotisserie for a repair like that or should it be ok because there's still substantial steel helping fight any sag.

• Like 1

It's funny... you guys see this car and think of all the ways you can fix it. I see this car and can't help wanting to send it straight to the car crusher. It looks like a nightmare!

BTW - what is the lift that you have the car on in that last pic? Never seen something like that. Seems pretty convenient.

1 hour ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

It's funny... you guys see this car and think of all the ways you can fix it. I see this car and can't help wanting to send it straight to the car crusher. It looks like a nightmare!

BTW - what is the lift that you have the car on in that last pic? Never seen something like that. Seems pretty convenient.

10 years ago this would have been a parts car. These cars are starting to be worth enough to justify an extensive amount of repair work. Especially if you have good metal skills...

The lift is a rotisserie, probably home built. Makes it much easier to work on.

3 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

Man those look amazing, exactly what I will try to do. Just need to figure out how to shape em! My only concern is structure... Im used a body on a frame, if i cut that thing up just as pictured will there be movement that could screw things up when finished? Would I be best to pull it off the rotisserie for a repair like that or should it be ok because there's still substantial steel helping fight any sag.

I would not make major repairs like that on the rotisserie. You need to set it down on blocks or jack stands. Then get a datum line to check the frame straightness. There is a diagram that gives all the frame dimensions in MM's

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

Also depending heavily on the location. in most US-places you can easy find better cars. but in snow- and salt-heavy conditions in a country like switzerland a car like this is still repairable. however don't think you will ever get the investment back over the next years. labour is expensive here too. but if you love it - it's worth it i guess..
Yeah i would definitely take it of the rotiserie for that. as you can see in my picture, the car is standing on a chassis-jig (or whatever you call it) and put on a single-post lift.

2 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

Not sure who you're referring to. but in my last pic it's a single post lift from my bodyshop, and on top of it is the car complete with a full rolling chassis jig / Dolly. I got it off my rotisserie for serious bodywork. for reasons mentioned above.

That's a pair of engine stands I modified so they were vertical and sturdy! With a spreader bar in the middle at the bottom. Works great

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys, this car same as my off road right is a build for myself with no desire to sell. Just drive, labour aside from filler and paint will just be my time with my kid over the years to come. Lookin forward to getting at it. I'll definitely be checking frame measurements. Here's my other build as she's sits today. All home brew fabrication on 38sFB_IMG_1523835246017.jpg

• Like 1