IGNORED

Where to go with this rusthole

Elliott000

Well after some more beating and work with a torch, I have the door to a satisfactory level of tin bashin and no more oil canning. Im confident that the amount of filler ill need to make it straight won't be excessive and I'll still be able to maintain the body lines! Doors are now rust free but I want to figure this out. Mirror mount, the passenger door has 2 holes about 3" apart. The drivers door clearly has been messed with and I assume the big hole is an after thought. I want to cut some little circles to fill the holes but which holes do I keep? Any one have specs on various mirror mounts, spacing. I was tempted to run fender mirrors but that's in the future and I hear they suck. Can u guys fire me off an average that I can use for my holes? Or should I weld em all up and re drill whenever I get my hand on some mirrors. 20181229_183856.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

If you are going to use stock mirrors you'll need the big hole for sure but can't remember which of the smaller holes are needed. 

@Patcon, Trev is great, he's a master.

Had you seen him before? I just found him recently. He is very good and you can tell what he is actually doing but I have to watch in small doses. One advantage he does have on us, is it seems like most of the cars he is working on have much thicker panels which are much more forgiving and can be filed to be perfectly smooth.

9 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

Ahh ok, passenger door only has 2 smaller holes... Power adjustable and defrost built into to driverside haha

Your Z is an early car, yes?  If so then the 2 holes on the P/S door were added by a P/O,  I think Nissan didn't start putting passenger side mirrors until after 74

7 hours ago, Patcon said:

Had you seen him before? I just found him recently.

No, just started watching his vids the night you posted the link. I've gone through most of them now and have been emailing him with questions and he responds right away with lengthy explanations, cool guy.

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Your Z is an early car, yes?  If so then the 2 holes on the P/S door were added by a P/O,  I think Nissan didn't start putting passenger side mirrors until after 74

No, just started watching his vids the night you posted the link. I've gone through most of them now and have been emailing him with questions and he responds right away with lengthy explanations, cool guy.

Super Cool!!!

You need to start a thread on what you've picked up? Grannyknot's metal working tips :beer:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've gotta hammer form one more piece on the corner of the door. On that funny shaped corner at the back of the frame. Should be fun hahh, I did up a list of things still needed to address on the chassis and I'm further away than I thought. Ahhhh it never ends. Might take a couple weeks break.

• Like 1

One side looks kinda like a car! Almost done on the driver side.... Hey for the doors. Are there shims to push the top out from the a pillar a little? Shes pretty good laterall6and front to back but it could use some upper front corner out action haha. 20190101_230608.jpeg20190101_230502.jpeg

4 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

One side looks kinda like a car! Almost done on the driver side.... Hey for the doors. Are there shims to push the top out from the a pillar a little? Shes pretty good laterall6and front to back but it could use some upper front corner out action haha. 20190101_230608.jpeg20190101_230502.jpeg

yes

@JLPurcell

4 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

Are there shims to push the top out from the a pillar a little?

The door hinges use 3 bolts to mount at both the door interface and the A-post interface.  However, the bolt pattern on the door mount is different from the bolt pattern on the A-post mount.  Patcon has correctly directed his comment to member JLPurcell, who had a bunch of special shim plates laser-cut by a local fab shop and had extras left over for sale.  It's not clear to me whether he had shims made for both bolt patterns vs. just one of the two.  Make sure you get the right type (or just make your own -- not rocket science).

• Like 1

One off custom cardboard rad supports! We'll I hung both fenders and checked fitment of the hood and shes tight
Its good at the firewall end but sometime through all this the front wi g's have tightened up with welding I guess. I made a rig with my. Bottle jack and spread it the 1/2 inch it needs to have good gap all the way through. I cut a spacer bar to hold it where I want it, measured and designed the upper support. I'll fab that either tonight or tomorrow and install it. Should be fine, how important do you guys feel the "webbing" is... The sheetmetal that goes from one side to the other accross the front that has holes in it for wire and air etc. (see second last pic, part that the guys has patched up) i am for sure adding the corner brace up top to fender wall, and am contemplating doing a similar triangle gusset downwards rather than form a hunk of sheetmetal in there. Similar to custom job attached. (last pic) 20190103_171327.jpeg20190102_194237.jpegdownload.jpeg240z_0091.jpeg240z_011.jpeg

• Like 1