IGNORED

'75 280z - trying to set timing

Neb

The one that "looked good" looked more right.  Did you rotate the distributor within its adjustment range, the slot on the lockdown screw, to see if the rotor points at 1?  And don't overlook that it's the front of the rotor electrode that sparks not the middle.   Imagine rotation in action.

You'll find out when you set ignition timing.  Might be fine, there is another adjustment on the distributor itself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

The one that "looked good" looked more right.  Did you rotate the distributor within its adjustment range, the slot on the lockdown screw, to see if the rotor points at 1?  And don't overlook that it's the front of the rotor electrode that sparks not the middle.   Imagine rotation in action.

You'll find out when you set ignition timing.  Might be fine, there is another adjustment on the distributor itself.

I thought so too; even finished up bolting on the oil pump.  But then I put the distributor cap on there.  The rotor was well passed the no. 1 plug position, even with the adjustment screw at full advance in its slot.

Yeah, setting the ignition will tell all I suppose.  I just hope its better than it started.  At least I know the trick to setting that spindle now ?

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

Sorry to rehash this old topic, but would it generally be possible, if you have the oil pump not aligned correctly (and i mean seriously off, not just a few degrees), to just switch around the ignition cables on the distributor (keeping it in the correct order of course) to get the right ignition timing? surely not best practice, but no hassle, just move around some cables compared to removing the oil pump

Yes this is always an option. I haven’t measured it, but the total adjustment in the two slots on the dizzy base seem to be about  the rotation distance between the 6 towers. The only issue is assigning wire lengths that “fit” well with your new dizzy ‘TDC” position for each plug. 

• Like 1