IGNORED

Am I getting old...

JSM

So today I had my first accident in 15 years or so that I can remember in my 2001 truck I use for this and that. This women with her two kids in the back decides to pull a u turn right in front of me while I’m going through the intersection.  I was able to not T-bone her by changing lanes, getting half way on the sidewalk and avoiding the cemetery fence. Luckily I wasn’t going very fast and was able to shed a lot of speed by braking, but I know there was no way I was  going to stop in time. 

She ended up hiting me on the drivers door and damaged the entire side of the truck. Not to bad, but not great. 

So the rest of the afternoon and evening, I’ve never felt so paranoid driving in my life. Im not sure what’s wrong with me other than I appreciate being alive or I’m getting old!  Maybe because I am getting old I’m appreciating life more!

1C604761-CA34-4771-BD21-7A621FC3DAD8.png

Edited by JSM

Glad your oké.. physically... It will be a little longer before it's out of your system.. but you will drive later on with no worry's...  I once (2 years ago..)  went round a blind corner on my motorbike, and there was a polish trucker on the wrong side of the road!  I could just barely dodge the truck by driving into the grass...  Then we learn not to drive relatively fast through corners that we cannot overlook !!!  

Still driving a big 2 wheeler....

Sounds to me like you acted correctly to do all you could to keep the damage to a minimum. None of this was your fault at all, instead it was a skillfully executed set of maneuvers that may have saved someone's life. If she u-turned in front of you, that puts the drivers door right in line with your rather large truck. What transpired from your quick reactions and commitment to making the best of a bad situation rather than closing your eyes and slamming on the brakes, is dang near heroic.  I call that a pretty good day. 

• Like 1

Like everybody else,  you're getting older.......and wiser.  Nobody intends on  being involved in an accident but we see them happen all the time.  Just the other day I was driving my Z.  Came up to a red light with a lady in a small passenger car stopped.  A distracted guy in big Durango came within less than an inch of plowing her from from behind.  It made me think,  what if I was the one sitting at the red light in a small 70's car with no rear bumper. Glad you and no one else were injured.

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Has the other shoe dropped yet where the woman who U-turned in front of you us suing you for damages?  :angry:   Any inkling of that sort of crap?

And in an obvious thread-jack... I've been thinking I should get a dash-cam. What is everyone using? Anyone have one they recommend?

45 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Did you have a dash cam mounted?  I keep mine going all the time just for instances like yours. I had some road rager ram me on the high years ago now and it took months for that feeling to go away, it's like every other vehicle is a big unpredictable weapon.

Nice to know you walked away from it.

I didn’t. I have one in my daily, but I drive my truck once a month now at best. I think I’m going to get one for everyone’s cars. 

28 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Has the other shoe dropped yet where the woman who U-turned in front of you us suing you for damages?  :angry:   Any inkling of that sort of crap?

And in an obvious thread-jack... I've been thinking I should get a dash-cam. What is everyone using? Anyone have one they recommend?

Don’t go there!  I thought about that too. Seems like everyone sues for anything nowadays.  Here in Orlando seems every other commercial is accident, call attorney xyz.

1 hour ago, zKars said:

Sounds to me like you acted correctly to do all you could to keep the damage to a minimum. None of this was your fault at all, instead it was a skillfully executed set of maneuvers that may have saved someone's life. If she u-turned in front of you, that puts the drivers door right in line with your rather large truck. What transpired from your quick reactions and commitment to making the best of a bad situation rather than closing your eyes and slamming on the brakes, is dang near heroic.  I call that a pretty good day. 

Thank you. I always try and plan an exit strategy. I used to race rc cars competitively as kid and my dad would always bitch at me, are you blind, plan your exit.  It got the point where I wouldn’t blink the entire race and my eyes would just tear the whole time. Seemed if I blinked something would always happen. 

• 2 weeks later...