IGNORED

What frame rails?!

rcb280z

I agree with the collisions shops probably won't want to touch it. I've had that experience also.  I found a welder from the custom paint guy that did my car.  Since paint was his primary business, he knew welders and such that had no fear of rusty stuff on older cars. Kind of a "I know a guy" that can do that sort of thing. Won't hurt to ask collisions shops either if they don't do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. You are motivating me to tackle this job myself. I feel a little better about the situation and you all are giving me the confidence to do it. Truthfully, I thought is going to be much worse then it is. 

Edited by rcb280z

yea go for it, never know until you try. I am so glad I decided to do the trans swap and clutch myself. Often times you find its not all that hard after all, besides 1/2 the fun is doing the work yourself. Tools are not that expensive anymore and should pay for themselves quickly.

8 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

yea go for it, never know until you try. I am so glad I decided to do the trans swap and clutch myself. Often times you find its not all that hard after all, besides 1/2 the fun is doing the work yourself. Tools are not that expensive anymore and should pay for themselves quickly.

I'm getting there Dave. Gotta build the confidence level to do it. That's why I'll practice a little first.

6 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Also, enough protective gear (leather) to protect you from sparks when you're welding overhead.

Come on, all those little burns on your arms and chest are badges of honour .

2 hours ago, rcb280z said:

Is there a particular one I should purchase? The cheaper the better.

Don't buy it from Harbour Freight, at least get an entry level Lincoln Mig, Craigslist is a good place to start. Once you get one you'll be surprised how often you use it.