IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

That's awesome! And I would recommend putting some brake lines on the master cylinder before you put some miles on it.  ;)

So... Was that really the first start? Or did you start it a couple minutes before just so you wouldn't look like a doofus cranking and cranking and cranking?  LOL

CO...Brakes are next! 

That was the first start.  I had pulled the starter wire and cranked the engine several times fpr about 15 sec each  until I got 35 psi on my fuel pressure gauge.  Put the starter wire back on cranked it once and could tell it was going to start, so I then grabbed my buddy to take a video.  

BTW, the 1978 TVV I ordered from RockAuto doesn’t fit.  The sensor on the end is too long and it impeads proper threading, only catches about 2 threads.  It will definitely leak with this one. 

Right now the radiator it completely dry.  Once I get the new TVV, I’ll fill and flush the whole system.  I imagine there is a lot of mineral deposits  with all the white power that came out of the thermostat and water pump housings.  

Well then that's extra awesome that was truly the first real start. Great work!

If you want, I'll look in my box of stuff for a TVV. I've switched over to a completely different throttle body and I don't need the TVV anymore. If I've got one, I'll send you the one from my 77. Sorry to have steered you wrong on the 78 version.

Bruce,  much appreciated amd thanks again for the tips along the way.  I won’t be back to Memphis until next Sunday and then begins brake, and cooling system work.   She might be able to take a trip around the block by Memorial Day weekend.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gents, got the Z on the road today.  She runs and drives a little rough but what can I expect after she was abandoned 18 years ago and no competent mechanic ever fixed back her up.  I installed a new brake master and clutch master today and bleed the system,   It doesn’t  idle well and hovers around 500 rpm while coughing a bit there,  I tried to adjust the idle screw and it had no effect.  I also think 2nd gear has a problem because when I accelerate in 2nd it starts okay and then around 3,000 rpm and makes this loud  whine and the acceleration stops.  Not sure what that means.   Well, she run well enough to drive on and off trailer so I can  get her to NC. Check out the video of the first drive.

• Like 2

Certainly good enough so you at least don't have to winch it onto a trailer. Awesome!

You've probably got 30 somewhat dirty and corroded connections (some of which are in the fuel injection system), and probably 30 small vacuum leaks in various places. You got it running, but getting them to run great is in the details.

I have no idea what's going on with the whine at 3000 RPM, but there isn't anything in the tranny that should cap acceleration like that. I'd be interested in hearing more about that issue once you get it home.

Does SWMBO know it's coming?    :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

Well gents it’s finally time to move the Z from Memphis to North Carolina.  I’ll now have more access to it so I can really start getting this restoration going. Again I appreciate all the help up to this point it was great to be able to drive it up onto the car transport. I’ll be on the road all day today headed through Birmingham, Atlanta, Florence and then North Carolina

A96A7CF1-FDBF-4591-AC4A-A64C1BB95A0E.jpeg

• Like 3