IGNORED

Tracking down a Z

TangoSauce

Hey everybody. Im looking for an early 70s 240z. I cant find any in my area. I want one that needs work so I can put it back together the way I want to. Does anyone have a Z like this or one that is so rusted you just want to junk it. Preferably I want it to be under 300 bucks. A guy can dream.

I found one for 500 in way better shape then that. It had everything except the front fenders and the motor was siezed.The problem was it was 8 states away. Im kinda lokking something along those kind of lines. Basically a decent shell with a reasonable amount of rust that could be worked on.

A decent 240z shell with a title for $300 won't happen.  You might find a 260z or 280z shell, maybe.  Prices have gone up on everything and if its in good shape it won't be cheap.  Save your money, keep an eye on CL, FB, etc.  Start asking around locally and attend various car events.  You are going to have to network to find something at a price point like $300.  Don't be surprised if you never find it as a good fender alone is $200.  Add a door or a hatch and you are beyond $300.

Stop looking for a shell. The only people selling shells are the people looking to capitalize on a rare car and desperate buyers. Look for a parked/daily driver that is restorable for a decent amount of money. It will save you money in the long run and you will not need to buy all the missing parts or at least most. Save your money, keep looking for the old family car parked for the last 20 years and be prepared to pay a few thousand dollars for a non-runner, decent shape, clean title 240. Less for a 260/280.

Edited by wheee!
  • Like 1

I've been reading this forum for a few years now and have seen people get crappy cars and work on them for years, a couple are still going on. It's like they say, these old cars are like onions, the more you peel away the more tears. 

If you've found a runner for $2500 BUY IT or tell us about it and somebody'll get it tomorrow. :D

23 minutes ago, TangoSauce said:

He doesnt like me cause I asked him to trade a mower for one of his MGs

Power mower or push? 

As others have mentioned, you need to build the budget bigger before searching.  Hopefully, you can gather extra cash faster than Zs are going up in price.  Then the fun begins.  Good luck!  We're all dreamers and enjoy watching others chase theirs.

Dennis

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1