IGNORED

Clutch help in 71 with 5 speed please.

timsz

First, you must measure your clutch fingers to flywheel friction surface with the clutch bolted to the fly wheel. The fingers move a significant amount toward the flywheel when you bolt it down.

Second point, I just took a clutch pack/throwout sleeve out of a 72Z that was a good 10mm too short than the ideal 92mm. The clutch was working. PO's had kept the original shorty sleeve the 4 speed came with the last clutch change. How can this be?

The way it was made to work, was by a crazy long clutch slave rod. It was also the early style that have the pass-through-the-fork ball tipped end so you adjust the effective rod length.

92 is the ideal package length. 

IMG_2920.PNGHere you go Captain

Hope I wasn't too blunt earlier.  The clutch control is actually very simple once you dig in to it.  The reason that the same measurement works for all combinations of engine, clutch and transmission is because the slave cylinder bolts to the tranmssion in the smae spot on all transmissions, and the fork pivot is the same height, and the flywheel surface is usually the same distance from the mating surface of engine and transmission.

Here's a diagram from the 1972 FSM showing the relationship of all of the parts, with the adjustable rod.  You can see how the angle of the fork needs to be the same (edit - unless you have the adjustable rod.  But Nissan got rid of that, probably to hold the best angle for the slave cylinder travel) because the slave cylinder and fork pivot can't move.  They're fixed.  So the fork at the collar is always starting in the same spot.  so you have to adjust the collar to make everything work right.  It's all about where the end of the fork starts its movement.

p.s.  Found that the new software allows CTRL V pasting of snipped images right in to the post.  Sweet.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

On 9/23/2017 at 6:29 PM, Diseazd said:

It doesn't matter which tranny you have.....early 4 speed, early 5 speed or 280ZX tranny. They all have the exact same dimensions. The only thing you have to be concerned with is the clutch pressure plate that you use. If you use a 240Z pressure plate, use the 240Z collar.....If you use the 280Z or ZX pressure plate, use the 280Z or ZX collar. If you have a 240 mm flywheel, you'll have to use the 2+2 (turbo) collar. It's that simple.....tranny doesn't matter....clutch pressure plate determines the collar you use.

I have to agree with this. In my case I put a 78 5 speed in my 72 Z. I used a new 240Z  Centerforce clutch kit. All I recall doing was reusing the

TO bearing collar, clutch fork and slave cylinder from the  original 4 speed. I had no issues with this set up.

29 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Sorry. Once per day or my little brain overflows.

Mr. Osborne, may I be excused?   LOL

I apologize. I have no idea who you're referencing. The one I thought of is spelt with a "U". Your "little brain" is waaaay larger than mine so if you'd correct my thinking I would be appreciative. I like to learn almost as much as I like to eat. I think if I learn something daily I am better off, of course, and there's nobody but you and Phillip that I will follow blindly to the end.

Cliff