IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I read back a few pages but couldn't see any mention of a heat shield, are you going without one?  A shame to hide those beautiful headers though, this would be a perfect application for Scotty's transparent aluminum.

No I will not use a heat shield.  I have a ceramic coated header, hopefully it's enough, the engine bay is normally not that hot, I will test and see how the ITB hold up and see how heat soak goes.  

Edited by duffymahoney

I recently stumbled across this website and really enjoying seeing your build come together. I bought my first 240z in 1988 and sold it in 2005. Since selling it, I moved on with life but never quite got over it. The Z-bug finally got the best of me and now, 14 years later, picked up another 240z a few months ago. I've been considering dropping in a Rebello 3.2 once I save up enough pennies and my initial preference is to go with the triple carb set-up like I had on my first 240z. However, per my conversation with Dave at Rebello, the ITB set-up does have some advantages, but they come at a substantial price increase over carbs. Primary reason I like triples is because of the sound but my understanding is the throttle body set-up produces an equal or similar sound. I'm hoping you can share some videos of your engine running once It's ready or perhaps provide your opinion on the sound effect between both set-ups.

Cheers,

Elmo

I sold my tirple Mikunis for a lot a lot of money, I won't come out even, but it will be pretty close.  As far as the wife knows, it will be even:)

From the videos the noise they ITB is similar, I think the main difference will be the noise that the accelerator pump gives the car.  That growl.  I would guess that will be gone.  

First major setback. The return stock hardline is too small and is causing pressure to build up. Lowest I can get is 75psi. 

My plan is reuse the 8mm fill line as my new return then run 3/8 new flexible hose from the pump to the fuel rail. Then 5/16 line from the FPR to the 8mm stock line back to the tank. Then Y the 8mm (5/16) hardline to stock 5mm return and the 10mm tank vent. 

EF6B9FD9-743C-4E93-A4AE-6E0B075E211D.jpeg

Another option might be to reutilize the evap line as your return line. I’m saying that without rereading the whole thread, but I know you were trying not to change stock configuration. The tank vent line is bigger than the return line and should be sufficient. Then you would have to do something else as far as tank vent

I don’t think I have an Evap line? I have feed, return and brake lines running to the the rear of the car.  

I’m trying to only do bolt on mods to my 240z that can be removed. I could remove the smaller fuel line and replace with a larger one. That could be a mod down the road  

8 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

I don’t think I have an Evap line? I have feed, return and brake lines running to the the rear of the car.  

I’m trying to only do bolt on mods to my 240z that can be removed. I could remove the smaller fuel line and replace with a larger one. That could be a mod down the road  

You have a tank vent line for sure . It goes to the other side of the engine bay to the vent valve . It’s larger then the return line . You could use it for now and do something else to vent the tank - maybe the smaller line could be the vent line. 

1 hour ago, madkaw said:

You have a tank vent line for sure . It goes to the other side of the engine bay to the vent valve . It’s larger then the return line . You could use it for now and do something else to vent the tank - maybe the smaller line could be the vent line. 

Man that would be cool. I will look harder. I can’t say I have ever seen another line. 

I have a series 1.