IGNORED

L28 280Z Car engine problems!!!

Jdizz07

agree with ZH, several things going on, sounds like a miss and prob super rich, which may account for a miss fire if you have a fouled plug.

Install new correct plugs, try again and get a reading of them. Also I found very handy a mech stethoscope put the end to the injector body and listen for ticking sounds. ZH method works too, I just find it quicker to use the stethoscope to id a non functional injector.

IF the plugs confirm the rich condition which I think they will, then you need to move on to the EFI check list AT the ecu, starting with a reading of the temp sensor AT the ecu. I keep saying AT the ecu so you will be checking all the wiring from the sensors and the harness as well. the temp sensor and leaking CSV are all suspects that need to be looked at if rich condition exist. For the temp sensor you will need to check the water temp and compare it to the resistance chart in the EFI.

Edited by Dave WM

• 3 weeks later...

Hey team, 
Thanks for the replies, after going through what you guys had suggested and finding nothing out of the ordinary, I decided to run a compression test... (shouldve done this way earlier) to find no compression on cylinder one. I took the rocker cover off, the valves seem to move and seat fine. I used the compression testing kit and blew into the spark plug hole with the valves closed and could hear the air down the crank case. That has got to be bad rings right? After deciding to take off the head and inspect further, I found the exhaust manifold in no.1 totally covered with burnt fuel compared to other cylinders, See photo... seems like this has been the problem why she was overfuelling. Does this make sense all of my symptoms? All things going well i will drop the sump this weekend and try pull some pistons out!! 
Any tips on getting the sump out? I remember the sump in the L20et on my old skyline was a right dog to get out...

Also any easy tips on whether the front of the block needs to be removed, water pump etc?

thanks in advance

JD

IMG_6984.jpg

IMG_6986.jpg

I've pulled and reinstalled complete motors for two rebuilds. Timing cover water pump everything but the fan. You'll need to remove the radiator also. 

Blowing air in the cylinder and hissing noise could be unseated valves as well. That might explain the unburnt fuel too. If the valves are way out of adjustment that could be your issue? Sometimes lash pads come off then you keep driving but the valve train will tick like crazy.

Right, Ive decided to take a leap of faith and go the whole hog. Pistons are out, Sump is off, from timing cover is off. The rings seemed fine but there was a small water mark on the bore, and i slightly tired head gasket closest to the timing chain, which cold have suggested water getting through in the amount of time it has been sitting. Could be some of my problem there. Also the big ends are a bit tired so replacing those too.

Gives me a good excuse to give the engine a good clean down and spruce up, just hoping it goes back together ok. 

Guys i need a full engine gasket set. Preferably here in the UK so I dont have to pay import tax and shipping! 

Also can you guys tell me the difference in L28 whether I need a 240Z/260Z gasket set or a 280ZX gasket set. Mines a 76 and i think im in a bit of a cross over when it comes to parts.

Thanks

fuel injection means you need a gasket that fits the manifold and has provisions for fuel injectors. 280z gaskets are one size fits all from what I can tell. Hard to find a square port bit, I ended up using the one that has D shaped exhaust port holes and it worked fine so far. You might find the correct square gasket if you buy the package (has all the gaskets for head and manifolds as well as others) I don't know if they still make it.

6 hours ago, Jdizz07 said:

Right, Ive decided to take a leap of faith and go the whole hog. Pistons are out, Sump is off, from timing cover is off. The rings seemed fine but there was a small water mark on the bore, and i slightly tired head gasket closest to the timing chain, which cold have suggested water getting through in the amount of time it has been sitting. Could be some of my problem there. Also the big ends are a bit tired so replacing those too.

Gives me a good excuse to give the engine a good clean down and spruce up, just hoping it goes back together ok. 

Guys i need a full engine gasket set. Preferably here in the UK so I dont have to pay import tax and shipping! 

Also can you guys tell me the difference in L28 whether I need a 240Z/260Z gasket set or a 280ZX gasket set. Mines a 76 and i think im in a bit of a cross over when it comes to parts.

Thanks

@EuroDat has an EFI car,  I think that he knows where to get parts.  Better hurry before BREXIT kicks in.

Have you examined the valves since you have the head off?  Still odd that you got zero pressure in #1.  You assumed rings but now say that they look fine.

And it looks like you're rebuilding the engine with the block still in the car.  Good luck.  Make sure you find somebody who knows the L engine to work on the head.  There are several ways to get really screwed up and spend a lot of extra money if somebody that doesn't know works on it.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I went with Ring Engineering in West London,, they have found my problem, Cyclinder one valve seat was corroded to buggery. Will look forward to getting this back and start putting it back together.

Also anyone got a spare stock camshaft with sprocket and mounts? I left mine in the boot of my Rover P5b and that got stolen last week. So down to one car now thats on blocks with parts missing! 

Speaking of which, I know its not Datsun but for all the UK users, if you see this old girl rocking around please alert me and the police, would love to get her back!

1972 Rover P5b 3500 Coupe, stolen from SW18 London around the 2nd Sept

Cheers

Rover p5.jpg

Edited by Jdizz07