IGNORED

280zx 1979 2+2 slick roof restauration

dutchzcarguy

On 6/6/2020 at 7:52 AM, bartsscooterservice said:

You can see how long of a journey it is Mart... 

Yeah.. bought the car in 2013 and yesterday i sat in the car..  in it's original seat in place!  I'm slowly installing all the parts since last week when it was painted..

I also bought a few stickers.. in excellent condition.

DATSUN tripple crown.

20200521_133400.jpg

DATSUN Dutch Dealer team. Tuner: JanSpeed.

20200521_133351.jpg

Some pic's of installing the parts..

The kick plates left and right..

20200221_141629 (2).jpg

The speakers for the cass. player.. a funny thing.. the radio has it's own speaker in the center on top of the dash (mono!) and the cass player (in stereo!) in the sides near the rear seat.. haha..

20200221_141501.jpg

The roof trimming..

20200603_112830.jpg

20200603_112842.jpg

20200603_112847.jpg

20200603_112856.jpg

The rear lid rubbers and stuff..

20200603_115935.jpg

20200603_115943.jpg

Rear wiper.. Installed in the back door incl. the cables for the rear window defrogger..  and ..do not forget.. the rear window washer tube.

20200603_115955.jpg

Gave it some extra grease..

20200602_140337.jpg

Internal parts doors...

20200603_135944.jpg

20200605_161439.jpg

The stainless strips (pillar garnish nissan calls it.)  for the door rubber.

20200605_161357.jpg

20200605_161407.jpg

steering wheel, cleaning the track from the horn and putting some grease on it..

20200603_133341.jpg

some more trimming parts... pfff...

20200605_161418.jpg

"Testing" the rear side windows.. They need to come out again because the stainless (chrome) part needs to get in first... RTFM..  (Read the f*****g manual !!! ? )  

20200606_134246.jpg

The lock of the rear windows.. (this time real chrome!)

20200606_134259.jpg

More next week. I'm sure i'll install some parts more than ones.. But after 6 years the most written phrase in the servicemanual: INSTALLATION IS IN REVERSE ORDER OF REMOVAL isn't that easy..  :Grrrrr:

On 2/1/2020 at 4:48 PM, Terrapin Z said:

I expect there are more for the bottom trim but I have not removed that part yet.

(it's about the windscreen..) 

@Terrapin Z   HI!  I'm busy building the car and next week the windscreen is up.. Did you remove the bottom trim already of your car?  Are they different width? (upper and lower clips?)

The main problem i have with the windscreen fitting is that there should be a sort of rubber edge visable along the stainless strip..  On your car it was made out of sealant?

Can get messy when i have to make one out of sealant haha..

Maybe @Zed Head Knows a solution?  A rubber tape/band to lay into the sealant?  Just brainstorming.. ??  (it's for a 280zx 1979)

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

@Terrapin Z   HI!  I'm busy building the car and next week the windscreen is up.. Did you remove the bottom trim already of your car?  Are they different width? (upper and lower clips?)

The main problem i have with the windscreen fitting is that there should be a sort of rubber edge visable along the stainless strip..  On your car it was made out of sealant?

Maybe @Zed Head Knows a solution?  A rubber tape/band to lay into the sealant?  Just brainstorming.. ??  (it's for a 280zx 1979)

Hi Mart, Looks like your car has been coming along nicely. 

I think you are right about changes in the years, 79-81 seem to be similar, and then 82-83 are their own style. 

This 82 is the only one I have an opportunity to take apart. I have seen 79's at the JY but did not pay attention to the windshield. In my 79 parts list they show two fastener strips (upper and Lower). The upper lists one > July 81 and another aug 81 > although they show the same picture. The lower is shown as all the same.

Both slides show the plastic clips from your next picture but the descriptions are missing from the list (indicating NLA?) 

Sorry I don't have clear answers for you. I never took the bottom stainless off, I will see if I can pull that this weekend to see what is under there. 

Keep up the great work.......

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I never took the bottom stainless off, I will see if I can pull that this weekend to see what is under there. 

Thanks for the fast response!  Make some pic's if you can and post them here..  Thanks you in advance!  (If you don't have the time for it, it's no disaster as the glass guy is coming to see the car next week.) 

Last week was a busy one.. lots of parts went on the car and next tuesday the Glassguy is coming to see my car for the windscreen! (He does all the glass work in the paintershop where my car is now for half a year or so..) 

Wednesday i was busy with the rear window rubber/glass/stainless...  pff.. I made the parts VERY clean and sprayed them with special rubber conditioner, otherwise it would have been very difficult to get it right.

The stainless went into the rubber sealer very smóóóth! 

20200610_161142.jpg

20200610_161136.jpg

Then i had the do the corners .. they have to go in in only one way!  Important is that your rubber is soft and stretches easely.. 

Here you can see (partly) the rear glass and stainless.. (liing on the decklid for now..)

The rear lights and numberplate lighting is also on!  ( As are the rear screen whiper motor and the radio antenna.. all working very well)

20200611_150903.jpg

Due to a "as new" bootlid rubber, the lid is a little to high, i wait with correcting this till after i put in the glass and all the trim inside..

20200611_150914.jpg

20200611_150919.jpg

Dito for the hight of decklid..

20200611_150909.jpg

Under the front fenders plastic wheelwell covers installed..

clips..  details..details...?

20200612_114355.jpg

20200612_114415.jpg

Some shiny parts in the hood...?

20200611_153952.jpg

20200611_153945.jpg

This week i made an appointment for the APK..  (Like a TUV in Germany or a MOT in England)  I'm working towards that date of Wednesday the first of July 2020..  yeah so i'll have 2 weeks to put in the windscreen and a few other things.. (doorwindows and some rubber stuff..)

My APK garage is still the same guy who has done easy over 40 Z- car APK-checks for me!  He's also excited to see the result of years of work haha..

I believe i said this before but this is my 8th z or zx car.. (I had or have 2 x 240z 3x 280zx and 3 x 300zx)  (At the moment i own one of each.. 240z, 280zx and a 300zxtt.)

Edited by dutchzcarguy

6 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I didn't think that Nissan used liquid sealant on the glass.  Everything was preformed rubber.  On the 280Z's the chrome strip fits in a groove in the preformed rubber, to help lock the rubber in place.

How about a picture of the specific seal, the way that you want it to be?  Not sure about what exactly the issue is...

Hihi... Zed Head must have been a bit sleepy..?  (what's the headline of this Topic, Zed??)

It's about a 280ZX.. never mind.  Tuesday the glass guy comes and takes a look.. he does all the repairwork on all the paintshop cars that come in for a paint or repair job.

I'm sure he has a solution to this problem  (fingers crossed!) ?

Here are some pics of the bottom under the stainless trim. It looks like there was a plastic piece that had sticky tape to hold it in place. It looks like it went on first then the windscreen gets glued in after. there are some bulges that look to hold the stainless on every few centimeters. The piece is notched so it can make the arc of the windscreen and breaks very easy,  It is also weather checked. I did get a small piece of it out for the pics. The ends have a locating pin that sits under the side trim. 

It looks like there was something like it on the top as well. It is also sealed in with silicone or some other adhesive. No bumps on the top but it had the butterfly clips as noted above. 

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

• Thanks 1

Terrapin Z ,  Thank you very much for your efforts, I've seen those before, and my car had the same stuff under the stainless strips..  I thought it was'nt original and something those Carglass guys used to put in his 2th windscreen ( there was no longer an original screen in my car when i bought it.. the rust around the screen was also the biggest problem of my 280zx.. the screen was thrown in.. not installed!  thrown at the car! and that was why the whole window edge was rusted away..)

I wonder if the edge of that plastic (with sticky tape) comes from under the stainless and is visable?  So there is a sort of rubber edge visable on the outside? but not on the glass side.. You could see the openings (for bending) then on the edge of the stainless?  Think there is some rubber sealant over it? still a bit unclear.. but i think we get it right tomorrow!  The glass guy has a lot of experience!  Thanks again Terrapin z !

I don't remember any of the rubber seal being exposed, at least on my 82. The only thing I see that would be what you are describing is at the fender edge. 

Here are pics of the passenger side with the side trim still on, and a pic of the drivers side with the trim off. You can see where the plastic pin lock the strip down. (circled)

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG