IGNORED

Im not sure what z car to get for my first car

Gmz779

Im new to the z family andintrested in getting either the 280zx, 280z, 260z, or 240z  but im wonder which one would be better, cheaper, more reliable and have cheaper parts also more parts to select from.

Hi, Don't know were you are from but go for a 280zx, lots of cars and even more parts for low prices.. in de States..  Here in Europe those are rising !

240z  and other s30 parts are getting very expensive.  If you want to drive the car buy a 280zx and if your looking for an investment buy an early 240Z ....

I am restoring a 280zx 2+2, just because the 240z i'm driving for 17 years (!) now is becoming to interesting for people that want to take it.... for free....:angry:

Let us know what you are going for.

Mart.

240 z of course unless you want to drive it everyday, if so buy a toyota echo, pontiac firefly or any other

car for every day and a 240z as you z car. you know you may keep it for the rest of your life.

If you don't have a large budget, the ZX's and ZX parts are going to be the cheapest. IMO, all Z's are reliable after you spend some time and money on them.

Which one is better, is a tough call. Personally, I like the early 240's. Not a lot of frills and creature comforts but that's the reason I like them. Others, however, value comfort. Start shopping and asking questions. You'll soon have a good idea of what's available. Regardless of the year, YOUR FIRST PRIORITY SHOULD BE BODY CONDITION. Everything else is easy to repair.

Look at the pictures of the different models, inside and out. One will speak to you more than others...

I for one am not a fan of the "modern" dash in the S130's. The S30 series (whichever you choose) is similar enough that if you find a complete car, that is not requiring extensive parts, you can buy whichever you like. If you are buying a shell, keep in mind certain year production models are extremely difficult to find parts for! My 76 280Z is an early production, using parts from the single year 260 and 75 280Z's. Parts changed on certain components after Aug 1976 and that means I have to search very hard for certain unicorns....

IMO the S30 line is the best Datsun/Nissan has ever designed. I'm into creature comforts and believe the last year production cars of a certain line are the utmost expression and refinement of that specific model. Since most buyers go for the early S30s, the law of supply and demand will allow you to buy a 280Z for less money than a similar condition 240Z. You'll spend less money and end up with the a car whose "bugs were worked out" by Nissan (great AC, reliable EFI, decent electronics, good suspension, decent wipers, etc.) and can be daily drivers without any sacrifice AND still enjoy those gorgeous lines. Eventually all S30s in comparable condition will have similar value so take advantage of the bargain, less respected 280s at this time. Other than the extreme purists, most people won't care if you're driving a 240, 260 or 280. They will just get a kick from seeing an S30 on the road and congratulate you.

PS: I hope I don't offend any of the forum friends.

Edited by dmorales-bello
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The 240 what can I say......not enough accolades great car to drive when sorted properly.The 280ZX nice car has all the bells and whistles. I have an early 70 and a 72. I have owned the ZX coupes and 2+2. They are not lemons but the later models are a bit more complicated with the modernization of the vehicle. They can both be everyday drivers when looked after. Stay away from NISSAN dealers if at all possible. Most of the techs are so young they don't even know what a carburetor is for or how it is used. Whatever you buy LEARN TO WORK ON IT. You will never be able to pay shop fees. Good Luck

IMG_20111006_120729.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...