IGNORED

at wits end

sweatybetty

3 hours ago, Zpat said:

Sorry to be so late to this party but this thread is very relevant as I recently pulled my distributor on my '72 240 and my oil pump shafts tang is in the exact 1:00 position as your original picture even though by all measurements I am at TDC (pistons at top, cam gear v notch lining up with thrust plate dash, cam lobes where they should be etc). I believe the gear oil pump shaft moved/slipped when I pulled my distributer. Could you give a quick outline of how you moved the tang back to the 11:30 position?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

i finally got it where it is supposed to be, and it fired right up. line up the marks as shown, turn the shaft a little clockwise?, then push it up in there. tighten one bolt finger tight and the take a look. it may take a few tries (you will be an expert shortly) but it will eventually go. very aggravating

• Like 1

Thanks all, sounds like just twist, turn, shove. If not correct, repeat until correct. Just wanted some direction as a chill went down my back when I saw sweatybettys first picture when the tang was at 1:00, identical to mine and hearing his earlier problems. I'm sure I will come back to the well if I have any problems. Happy motoring...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

the car is running now. i have put my timing light on every wire, and the light will work on all but # 1 & 3. i have switched wires around but no difference. new cap and rotor, no difference. i tried pulling #1 wire off the plug, and get a great spark to ground. im going to try new plugs tomorrow, any recommendations?

thanks all    sb

54 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Seems like it would be the distributor that has a problem.  Wobble, bad points gap w worn cam?

the distributor feels tight, no wobble that i can feel. im running pertronix ignition, so no points. i have turned the magnets several times with no difference

I've seen it proposed but haven't actually seen it - bad grounding of the spark plug body and threads to the head.  Several ways to test it or fix it, from vigorous cleaning of the threads to running a dedicated ground wire from the plug body to ground, or jamming a screwdriver between the plug and head.  You get the idea.  Seems far-fetched but fits the symptoms.

12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Seems far-fetched but fits the symptoms.

Bad ground occurred to me too. It does seem far fetched but who knows...

Wires, cap & rotor don't change it, so: plugs or distributor/pertronix