IGNORED

at wits end

sweatybetty

to follow up. the "baby doll" is now idling  good with the timing at +/- 13*  the popping is now intermittent, which i think is from mis-fire on # 1 & 3 plugs. putting the timing light on one wire at a time shows a consistent spark on all but those 2. that narrows it down to cap, rotor and wires. i have a new set of wires, so i think it has to be the cap and/or rotor

i would like to thank all of you for the advice and help.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2017 at 10:09 PM, sweatybetty said:

to follow up. the "baby doll" is now idling  good with the timing at +/- 13*  the popping is now intermittent, which i think is from mis-fire on # 1 & 3 plugs. putting the timing light on one wire at a time shows a consistent spark on all but those 2. that narrows it down to cap, rotor and wires. i have a new set of wires, so i think it has to be the cap and/or rotor

i would like to thank all of you for the advice and help.

I was having a hard time following what you had been doing with your motor. I see now there was a separate thread on your new engine rebuild.

That would be at wits end for me too. I don't have any other ideas not mentioned myself, but that engine sure does look nice. Good job.

1 hour ago, Lumens said:

I was having a hard time following what you had been doing with your motor. I see now there was a separate thread on your new engine rebuild.

That would be at wits end for me too. I don't have any other ideas not mentioned myself, but that engine sure does look nice. Good job.

thank you, it has been a long road, but the end is close

Sorry to be so late to this party but this thread is very relevant as I recently pulled my distributor on my '72 240 and my oil pump shafts tang is in the exact 1:00 position as your original picture even though by all measurements I am at TDC (pistons at top, cam gear v notch lining up with thrust plate dash, cam lobes where they should be etc). I believe the gear oil pump shaft moved/slipped when I pulled my distributer. Could you give a quick outline of how you moved the tang back to the 11:30 position?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

When I line up the gear shaft and pump alignment marks and insert the shaft and pump into the cover housing, the tang comes out at the 1:00 position. I am going to try the pump turn method siteunseen provided from the Tom Monroe book but I was curious if sweatybetty used that method or something else to get his to reset to the 11:30 position. It appears I need to shift/turn something to come out at 11:30...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I think I remember there being two marks on the pump or spindle that could be confused the last time I did this.

Just keep turning the spindle and re-seating until it is right. It is not that difficult to do if you are off.

One of the things to be careful with is to align the pump with its mounting holes in the timing plate well before you push the assembly home.  If you insert then spin the pump to align its bolt holes you will turn the whole thing off.

The other thing to watch for is the tang for the distributor. It is offset and makes a small semi circle and large semicircle when looked at on-end.  The small semicircle should be on the front side when seated.

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1