IGNORED

Purchased a 73 240z automatic

jdbrocious

Well, I am the same boat...I purchased a '72 (112 yellow) auto in wonderfully preserved original condition (with a cheap re-spray).  My first inclination is to swap out the auto for a manual after I clean the fuel system and go through the brakes.  I believe the VIN does not indicate much of anything other than type, year, and build sequence.  So, the if the conversion is done thoroughly with period parts, then no one will know if you don't tell them.  Thoroughly means distributor, wiring, etc.  For me, I plan to make the switch just for the fun of driving the car the way it was intended when it was manufactured.  Also, I plan to add rear disc brakes, Toyota front calipers, wheels, headers, exhaust, delete emissions controls, and add a/c.  Everything I do will be reversible and I will save all the parts.

My only conundrum is whether to go with a 4 or 5 speed.  4 speeds are easy to find, not so much for the '81-'83 5 speeds.

Edited by David F

Well, I am the same boat...I purchased a '72 auto in wonderfully preserved original condition (with a cheap re-spray).  My first inclination is to swap out the auto for a manual after I clean the fuel system and go through the brakes.  I believe the VIN does not indicate much of anything other than type, year, and build sequence.  So, the if the conversion is done thoroughly with period parts, then no one will know if you don't tell them.  Thoroughly means distributor, wiring, etc.  For me, I plan to make the switch just for the fun of driving the car the way it was intended when it was manufactured.  Also, I plan to add rear disc brakes, Toyota front calipers, wheels, headers, exhaust, delete emissions controls, and add a/c.  Everything I do will be reversible and I will save all the parts.

My only conundrum is whether to go with a 4 or 5 speed.  4 speeds are easy to find, not so much for the '81-'83 5 speeds.

Sounds very similar. I've decided to keep all original. I just can't bring myself to modify it. My wife likes the car, so we might end up with his and hers and I'll modify mine.

First up is getting it running!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Your vin plate says nothing about whether the car was auto or 4 speed.....do the swap IMO. Just about everything is the same on the autos and manuals....console, driveshaft etc. The only way you can tell on a good swap is the the clutch hardline...it sits neatly above the other tubes under the hood on the fire wall. Z's were meant to be manuals....IMO it will increase the value if done right....besides, if you are buying for investment, you'll forgo a lot of fun shifting yourself instead of Japan shifting for you.

You have to tap on my Flickr pics, but you'll see what I mean.

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1

Your vin plate says nothing about whether the car was auto or 4 speed.....do the swap IMO. Just about everything is the same on the autos and manuals....console, driveshaft etc. The only way you can tell on a good swap is the the clutch hardline...it sits neatly above the other tubes under the hood on the fire wall. Z's were meant to be manuals....IMO it will increase the value if done right....besides, if you are buying for investment, you'll forgo a lot of fun shifting yourself instead of Japan shifting for you.
You have to tap on my Flickr pics, but you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the feedback...Another question that has me perplexed. The car is factory a/c and I read the chassis plate should be near the drier. I can't find a chassis plate anywhere! All the details of the car check out with the previous owner and I'm convinced she never changed the engine, but the passenger fender was replaced due to a minor fender bender. Oddly there appears to be black paint on both sides of the engine bay when I can clearly see the original factory white paint throughout the interior.

The chassis stamp on the firewall matches the dash plate and matches the door plate, so all good there.

Any thoughts on what could have happened? Any other places the plate could be hiding?

Thanks.

Also, Can you link to your Flickr? I couldn't find it on the app I'm using. Thanks!

Regarding your ID plate.....you can call Mike at Banzai Motorworks....he can make a new ID plate with all the right numbers....he'll just need a copy of your title to verify it's real....he'll stamp it just like the factory. It's not my Flickr (my son's) so don't know how to help you out. BTW, your car looks like a really nice starting point for a great resto. The dash looks perfect, a very good  indicator. If you're not into spending the bucks to do it right, just drive as it is (out of the rain and garaged). Someone will pay a very good price for a rust free, straight 240Z that can be brought back to perfection.....looks like a car I'd really enjoy restoring, but don't have anymore room for another car. Good luck.....Guy

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPGBefore and after.....

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

Edited by Diseazd

51 minutes ago, jdbrocious said:

Thanks for the feedback...Another question that has me perplexed. The car is factory a/c and I read the chassis plate should be near the drier. I can't find a chassis plate anywhere! All the details of the car check out with the previous owner and I'm convinced she never changed the engine, but the passenger fender was replaced due to a minor fender bender. Oddly there appears to be black paint on both sides of the engine bay when I can clearly see the original factory white paint throughout the interior.

The chassis stamp on the firewall matches the dash plate and matches the door plate, so all good there.

Any thoughts on what could have happened? Any other places the plate could be hiding?

Thanks.

Also, Can you link to your Flickr? I couldn't find it on the app I'm using. Thanks!

As far as I know none of the 240z's exported to North America came with factory A/C.  What makes you think yours is?

As far as I know none of the 240z's exported to North America came with factory A/C.  What makes you think yours is?

Maybe I misinterpreted what I read. Does that mean it's a dealer installed option? Everything seems aged the same for the interior bits and hoses under the hood.

Regarding your ID plate.....you can call Mike at Banzai Motorworks....he can make a new ID plate with all the right numbers....he'll just need a copy of your title to verify it's real....he'll stamp it just like the factory. It's not my Flickr (my son's) so don't know how to help you out. BTW, your car looks like a really nice starting point for a great resto. The dash looks perfect, a very good  indicator. If you're not into spending the bucks to do it right, just drive as it is (out of the rain and garaged). Someone will pay a very good price for a rust free, straight 240Z that can be brought back to perfection.....looks like a car I'd really enjoy restoring, but don't have anymore room for another car. Good luck.....Guy
IMG_0811.JPG.dabade961898331754629c92e76e2cea.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG.3f0d9ad9d8b57edfe4cbcb5fd7056782.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG.2485c185dba21f88cd2b0a7f447ca616.JPG

That's great. I will reach out to him. I'm really happy with it so far. The more closely I look at it the better it is. The rear hatch area is spotless, original spare and cover, zero rust!

I did find a touch of rust in the driver's floor and driver front fender well near the frame rail.

So far so good!