IGNORED

Fairlady 432 at Auction

gundee

Road and Track calls it an 'absurd' price. But then admits at the end the price makes sense. Well maybe for some people it does I guess.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30502658/1970-datsun-z432r-sold-800000-auction/?src=socialflowFBRAT&fbclid=IwAR0YG5jsXUkXpmPoQpTdFH4fMF6R1KF2gTpPdvXeMGCSMoDZf76_0XpnRXA

1 hour ago, gundee said:

Road and Track calls it an 'absurd' price. But then admits at the end the price makes sense. Well maybe for some people it does I guess.

They also call it:

"... a competition-prepped version of the early 240Z..."

Don't think they've quite got their head around how all this works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, kats said:

Hi Gavin , 

We are seeing a lot of R32 GTR are shipped to overseas everyday. On the other hand I have met some owners who wanted to sell their cars but not for overseas buyers , I can sympathize with what they are feeling. 

BTW , could the winning bidder be an overseas buyer because it was made by phone . Interesting!

Kats

In Australia we've had "grey" imports for a number of years (since the early 90s) and many of the Grade R or lower quality cars were shipped to Australia from Japan and patched up to look better than they really were or had their odometers tampered with and wound back (high mileage examples). The R32s in particular were at 1 point very cheap, a good 1 was as low as $10,000 AUD back in 2010.

So many of these cars have had rough lives, patchy history and or accident damage, non-original motors (swapped out), etc.. the crazy thing now is that these cars are now selling for $40,000-$50,000 AUD.

I see a lot of the rougher examples showing up in North America now also, but the truly good ones that go to auction in Japan sell for good money which stuns many onlookers, but I suspect the only reason for surprise is that many people don't realise the difference between a good original example and the ones with questionable history.

• Like 1

There are loads of Nissan Skylines R32 GTR; R33 GTR and R34 GTR in the UK. If you have attended a Japfest show in the UK, it is flooded with Skylines GTRs.

5 - 6 years ago, you could pick up a quality R32 GTR for £7K. Now, everyone thinks their car is worth three to four times that amount and are waiting for a US buyer to contact them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gundee said:

If I had that sort of money, myself, I would rather order a MZR build Z from the UK.

Plus what I always wanted, a 66 GT350 Mustang. And still have a few bucks left over.

Or my friends Ferrari 288 GTO before he sold it. 

MZR cars are custom built. You can't compare a MZR car to a 432 or 432R

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PZ 69 said:

MZR cars are custom built. You can't compare a MZR car to a 432 or 432R

He's not comparing them, he's just saying what he would rather have.

13 hours ago, PZ 69 said:

This topic has been covered before. I suggest you do a search.

I doubt there is a single thing about Datsuns that has not already been discussed here, perhaps Mike should shut down the active forums and we can all just search the archives? I suggest you take the bug out of your azz, we don't need another prig on this forum.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Any details on the thinner metal parts in the 432R and the reinforced parts?

Questions like this are instances where the term '432-R' needs to be refined into 'street' and 'race' specifications. 432-Rs sold to private customers for registration and street use had differences from those sold for pure race use. 

In some respects it's wiser to treat 432-Rs on a case-by-case basis.

4 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I suggest you take the bug out of your azz, we don't need another prig on this forum.

Who is a "prig" and who isn't depends very much on your own viewpoint. You might like to take a peep in the mirror at your own "azz" occasionally.