IGNORED

Elephant oil cap

siteunseen

2 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

I was wrong about the o-ring on the 12/71 car.  I recalled the groove and thought of o-ring.  Here's a sequence starting with my car:

1st pic - 12/70 car, o-ring set into the groove, OIL cap with no seal ring

2nd pic - 12/71 car, open groove, elephant cap with seal gasket ring

3rd pic - 07/72 car, no groove, elephant cap with seal gasket ring

Hope this helps explain some of the changes.

100_2626.JPG

100_2625.JPG

100_2623.JPG

Thank you Mr Arnett!  The caps look to be the same, just different sealing methods.  I'll sleep good tonight now that I know the difference. :beer:

Are you storing that one cover at the bottom of the river? :D

Just kidding.  Thank you for taking the time to show the difference to me/us.  Cliff

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

The "OIL" (710) cap is early original and the Elephant cap is later.  It is my understanding that the symbol is that of Standard Vacuum Oil Company, a 1930s joint venture between Standard Oil of New Jersey and Mobil Oil.

Thank you Mr Wenzel for the information also. I've watched all the History Channel's "Men that built America" series and never heard the info you provided, Standard Vacuum Oil Company.

Thanks again, Cliff. 

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Are you storing that one cover at the bottom of the river? :D

The middle pic is a cover recently rescued from a parts car and not yet subjected to my tender touches of cleaning and polishing. ;)  The bottom pic is another rescue, now thoroughly cleaned and polished, soon to be marketed to fellow enthusiasts.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, heyitsrama said:

Errrr I made a typo there, I meant to write the choke cable, :(

My air cleaner has a bracket for the choke cables. I am guessing it's a 10mm head which I believe is a 8x1.25 metric bolt. I'm not aware of any screw type threads on mine but I could be wrong. You could try one of the three 10mm bolts that fasten the timing chain inspection cover on front of the head. They're about half an inch long so I don't think they would bottom out in the places your speaking of. Just a guess at what you need so be careful on over tightening them. Good luck.