IGNORED

Engine rough running - at wits end

the_tool_man

But with no load on the engine, it really doesn't (shouldn't) take a lot of throttle to get the RPM's way up sitting in neutral.

Point is... Sitting in neutral there won't be a lot of change of manifold vacuum at any steady state RPM level. And because of that, steady state fuel pressure should be about the same. You should see a small increase in pressure as you raise the engine speed, but not much.

You'll see a blip nearly to 36 psi when you goose it, but steady state should be about the same regardless of the engine speed assuming that speed is constant.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patcon said:

Maybe, so when I rev it, blip it, fuel pressure should spike up, but reving ot up and holding it probably wont spike the fuel pressure like that...

Also what is supposed to hold pressure in the system?  Ie prevent bleed off after shut down

Right. When you blip it, fuel pressure should spike up. But revving and holding probably won't raise the pressure much. Maybe a little, but not much.

And as for holding pressure on the system.... There are two things. First, on the supply side, there should be a check valve screwed into the fuel pump the hold pressure towards the rail. And second, on the return side, the fuel pressure regulator should hold pressure in the rail. The exact pressure number on shut-down is a little fuzzy because of the timing of events, but it should be "non-zero" and probably "between 15 psi and 25 psi". 

We could get into the reason why it's hard to predict on engine shut-down, but it's academic and probably not necessary for what you're working on.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So here is where we're at.

I rigged up a temporary fuel tank with a 5 gallon gas can in the hatch. It's only got a gallon or two in it. The car starts and runs ok but here is the fuel pressure while warming up and the the vacuum gauge that is plumbed in before the brake booster check valve

20231005_180334_resized.jpg20231005_180341_resized.jpg20231005_195119_resized.jpg20231005_195122_resized.jpg

It was my understanding that the vacuum to fuel pressure reduction should be 1:1?? we are seeing more like 1:2. Should this fuel pressure be 21-22Psi with 15...

Never mind, I think I figured it out. His vacuum gauge is not reading Psi!!! It's reading Hg. 0.5 bar is about 7psi. We had a static fuel pressure of about 35 psi in the start position with the solenoid disconnected. So that looks pretty good from that standpoint.

Which is good and bad. It seems our fuel pressure is regulating properly but our vacuum seems really low. Best places to start? I know he has block off the EGR. How do I verify that it is actually properly blocked?

Also @SteveJ

20231005_200404_resized.jpg

Battery is August 2022

20231005_195749_resized.jpg

At idle

20231005_201736_resized.jpg

Just after shut off. Where to start??

20231005_201740_resized.jpg

I understand, but I know some of these devices aren't easily blocked off because of how they're designed. I want to be sure that that method is perfectly executed and does not present an opportunity to internally bypass. I was under the impression that vacuum should be higher than that but that could be a units of measure issue again?