IGNORED

New Fujitsubo Exhaust System to be Released

12 hours ago, HS30-H said:

What's the perceived cost got to do with anything? Itagaki san of Spirit Garage is perfectly helpful if you contact him in his own language. That's Japanese.

He hasn't set up his business to deal with export enquiries, and nor should he have to if he doesn't want to. If anybody really wants to buy Spirit Garage products, either do it in Japanese or use a middle man/broker.

I was off on a tangent and thinking of Datsun Spirit.....! So, do they fit around R200 diffs Alan ?

31 minutes ago, Sean Dezart said:

I guess if it's made to fit S31s up 'til '78 is should fit and also LHD cars.

So, rhetorical question, what diffs were fitted to S31 models?

Secondary question, what models of S30/S31-series Z for the Japanese market were fitted with R200 diffs?

Passing the rhetorical question, I'd have said 2by2 JDM Zs.

A question back to you - what percentage of 'improved' JDM Zs  improved sufficuently to require the investment of such a quality header)  have had R200 fitted since they left the factory - is it a common 'upgrade' ?

11 hours ago, Sean Dezart said:

Passing the rhetorical question, I'd have said 2by2 JDM Zs.

A question back to you - what percentage of 'improved' JDM Zs  improved sufficuently to require the investment of such a quality header)  have had R200 fitted since they left the factory - is it a common 'upgrade' ?

No R200s fitted as stock equipment on Japanese market S30/S31-series Z cars, Sean. We have discussed that fact before. On this same Fujitsubo/Spirit Garage topic, I believe. On this very thread..? That's why it should not be presumed - when Spirit Garage say their systems "fit S30/S31s up to '78" - that this means they fit neatly around an R200.

Yes, R200s are commonly retrofitted to modified S30s in Japan. 

No R200s fitted as stock equipment on Japanese market S30/S31-series Z cars.

Seriously honestly, truly ? Not even on 2by2s ?

Why then were R200s specified for all export S30s , both 2x seaters and 2+2s ('cepting automatics) from 1974 ?

Edited by Sean Dezart

Hi Matthew.

As you say, it'll be better to have a 'list' compiled info and that's just what I've nearly finished and you'll find soon posted up on my new website  under 'Tech-Talk'.

Like engine heads, there is no 'best' - each works well and can be adapted to suit various applications, we tend to work on what is handy, easy and cheap to obtain. Exhausts and headers are similar, there is a fair amount of choice out there at quite diverse price levels, people need to choose what is best for them and their car and to do so, they need to understand how and why the various different parts work and then choose the right parts that work TOGETHER.

A little patience please and I'll post up when it's online.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:39 AM, Matthew Abate said:

I’d love to see someone compile all of this info into a sticky... hint hint.

Also, Sean, you said you had a theory on the benefits of twin pipes a few pages ago. Let’s hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

There are many inputs that go into designing an exhaust system, packaging being a major part of that. Two smaller pipes package better than one big one, simple as that.

e.g. dual 2.5" pipes have the same cross-sectional area as a single 3.5" pipe (notice I don't say "flow"...)

Also, "true duals" are missing out on the scavenging effect that combining all pipes brings, however small or large that effect may be for a given application.

39 minutes ago, Sean Dezart said:

I'm tempted to believe that dual pipes on an S30 are better suited towards the smaller cc engines (S20 and L20) than for larger.

I don't see why it would not be scalable? Bigger capacity, bigger (dual) pipes. Pipe size is linked to what you intend to put through it, no?