IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

Dyna-mat...ugh!  Amazes me that anyone, other than the car shows that are getting paid to use the stuff, would use Dyna-mat given how proud they are of the product.  There are a few alternate sources of essentially the exact same material (i.e. butyl based, heat resistance, sound deadening properties, etc.).  Another good example would be GTMAT.

The mat used in this thread is 80 mil but I've also seen 50.  I was just wondering if the OP had a reason for selection of the thickness.  Obviously the thicker the quieter which is probably good.  And yes, the Dynamat is pretty spendy

Edited by BDJeff

Interesting topic regarding sound deadening material selection. The short answer is that I selected the Noico because it was used and recommended by others on this site.

As a mechanical engineer who has worked extensively with noise reduction and sound deadening applications, I think that it would be difficult to rate one brand over another without actual side by side tests performed with the correct measuring equipment on the actual parts in question.  You cannot compare a Ford truck door with a Datsun 240Z door.  The door panels will have different resonant frequencies, thus different sounds .  Material Mass and energy absorption are key as are thickness and dampening.  The dampening will be affected by the size, mass, stiffness and thickness of each individual panel.  That being said, what may work well in one application may not work as well in another application.  I really could go on for a while on this subject but will stop here.  That being said....I did not perform any technical studies on 240Z's with the materials available and cannot knowingly state that the product i used is the best in this application.:P

Edited by motorman7

Hmmmm, need to install  those two bolts on the lower bell housing.  Pics are always good for stuff like that.

Also need to add the black paint to the muffler tip.  Will take care of that tomorrow.

Here are the latest motor pics.  Got the final decals on and voltage regulator cover.  

DSCF6205.JPG

DSCF6209.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments everyone.  Still waiting to hear from the transportation company on the pick-up date.  Should be in the next week or so.  The owner is having Intercity Car transport (http://www.intercitylines.com/) do the pick-up and transportation, so looks like we are in good hands here.  They are Jay Leno approved :).