IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

Thanks again for the compliments.   Fortunately, I really love working on the Z's.  It is pretty much my hobby and passion. 

Also, no need for more smog stuff, I have all I need.  I mentioned that I look for smog components on a Z only because if it is on the car, most likely the owner(s) have not modified the car too much.  If some one removes the smog equipment, most likely they have done a number of other mods as well.  I use it mostly as an indicator, not that I am a big smog equipment fan.  I like it on my original Z's because it was the standard equipment, but not on my modified.

I cleaned up the area where the front suspension support attaches to.  After that, I hit it with the touch-up paint.  I got the front suspension support and the other front suspension components back from the powdercoater.  The parts look great.  Can't wait to install these components along with the new Energy suspension rubber.  pics below

DSCF5130.JPG

DSCF5131.JPG

DSCF5134.JPG

DSCF5135.JPG

DSCF5139.JPG

DSCF5140.JPG

• Like 1

I cleaned up the front wheel wells and installed some of the suspension items this weekend.  

First I scrubbed the front wheel wells with soap and water and then I cleaned them off with paint thinner.  After that, I taped up the holes and painted the entire area with POR-15 to seal everything.  After that dried, I installed the front cross-member, the left and right front suspension arms along with the anti-sway bar and T/C rods.  Everything went in with the new Energy suspension parts which fit nicely. Pics below

DSCF5142.JPG

DSCF5143.JPG

DSCF5147.JPG

DSCF5153.JPG

DSCF5156.JPG

DSCF5158.JPG

DSCF5171.JPG

DSCF5173.JPG

DSCF5177.JPG

DSCF5183.JPG

DSCF5185.JPG

DSCF5187.JPG

DSCF5180.JPG

DSCF5182.JPG

Looks good!

Rich,

Can you make a better picture of where the cowl drain comes out? I see the panel that fits under the fender. Is that dum dum behind that on the car frame running vertically?

Also the cross member bolts only have lock nuts, is that correct? I think the FSM shows redundant washers there too. I wasn't sure if that was correct. Seems a little excessive...

I worked on the same stuff this weekend while I was working on getting my plating going again...

41 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Can you make a better picture of where the cowl drain comes out? I see the panel that fits under the fender. Is that dum dum behind that on the car frame running vertically?

Also the cross member bolts only have lock nuts, is that correct? I think the FSM shows redundant washers there too. I wasn't sure if that was correct. Seems a little excessive...

I worked on the same stuff this weekend while I was working on getting my plating going again...

I will take a picture of that tonight and post it here.  I think the area has turned out very nice and is well protected, better than stock.  The POR-15 is pretty solid when it comes to metal protection.

Not sure what dum dum is.  Is that spell check?

Yes, the cross-member bolts that hold the steering mechanism has lock nuts.

I guess it would be redundant to have a lock washer with a lock nut.  A regular washer could go in that location.  Personally, I think any nut  or bolt that need to be tightened/torqued, should have a washer under it.  For the bolts with nuts, I will hold the bolt still with an end wrench and torque the nut which has the washer under it.  The washer provides a nice bearing surface and also prevent the hex shape from digging into the metal, creating a round circle under the nut.  The split washers do dig into the surface but that area is under the washer so it is somewhat protected.  Ideally, the optimal set-up would be a flat washer with a lock nut.

On a side note, I seem to remember reading some NASA report that determined that split lock washers are ineffective in keeping nuts from un-screwing.  In spite of the fact that they may not be effective, I still like using them.  Probably more out of habit than anything else.  Again, I think the bearing surface the washer provides is the more important item.

19 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Dum Dum is the sticky tar-like rope stuff that is sometimes used on cars in situations like this.

Aaahhh, now I know what you are referring to (I think...the grayish stuff on the black panel).  No, that is closed cell foam.  This provides the seal between the 'vertical' panel and the fender and goes down the length of the panel.  I also use it on the two mounting platforms that are on the top section (Where the air duct is) that provide fender support.

6 hours ago, motorman7 said:

On a side note, I seem to remember reading some NASA report that determined that split lock washers are ineffective in keeping nuts from un-screwing.

Maybe for the kind of vibration that a rocket generates but I don't remember ever having a split/lock  washer be the cause of a nut backing off,  I have seen lots lock washers crack or spread from over torquing though.

You piqued my curiosity, so I had to dig up the reference.....here it is on the link below.

This is the statement from page 9 of the NASA study.  (In spite of this, I still prefer to use them)

"The lockwasher serves as a spring while the bolt is being tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary, a Iockwasher of this type is useless for locking."

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19900009424.pdf