IGNORED

Upgrading a 280Z EFI to Spitronics Mercury 2 ECU

EuroDat

Hi all,

Some time ago a fellow member Lenny was in the process of making an aftermarket ECU which would be a bolt-in replacement for the standard ECU. It was a great idea and I was hoping it would be a success. Unfortunately Lenny was sided tracked and the project stalled.

I like the retro EFI in the 280Z, but I would like to have something tunable and it’s getting harder to find good functioning parts for the 280Z.

Now for so something I never thought I would do: Fit an aftermarket ECU.

Now how to go about it. Which system should I use and should it be a complete swap or partial swap?????

The choice soon came down to 3 systems.

1: The LinkECU G4+ Atom or the G4+ Storm. http://dealers.linkecu.com/atom

2: Spitronics Mercury 2. South African system for 2 up to 12 cylinders with lamba sensor. http://spitronicsuk.co.uk/category/install-guides

3: Perfect power XMS5B. German system for 4, 6 & 8 cylinders systems with lamba sensor. https://www.perfectpower.com/index.php/products/stand-alone/xms5a

Megasquirt was not in my short list because I couldn’t find anyone locally with tuning experience.

In the end I chose the Mercury 2 because a friend is using it in a Toyota and getting great results. The technical people at Spitronics are friendly and didn’t hesitate sending HEX files of different systems that would work on the L28. They had some files for a 280ZX and a L28 with EFI. You can also download a lot of stuff from their website.

There are so many possibilities on the mercury(like the others) from single coil to coil on plug with wasted spark and injection pulsing twice per revolution to sequential injection. I would like to start simple with my single coil and running my Bosch  low impedance injector in pairs on 3 drivers.

I’m am now busy making the harness and brackets for mounting the ECU where the old unit was.

To do list:

1. Assemble harness

2. Make bracket to mount ECU

3. Make adapter to fit Bosch TPS variable resistance sensor

4. Make bracket and fit MAP sensor

5. Remove AFM

6. Machine plug for Lamba and weld in exhaust pipe.

7. Remove all unused equipment.

8. Tune it enough to run and eventually dino tune. Need to drive it 45km to the dino shop with Spitronics experience.

I don't have much time atm, but the car is now in for the winter, so that will give me some breathing space until March next year.

I know it's a long first post. I'll post some photo's of what I have done soon:)

Chas

• Like 2

Here are an overview of the things I have gathered for this project.

I was thinking about fitting the Spitstonic into one of my reserve ECU's, but I'm since then changed my mind. Ill just make a bracket to fit it where the old ECU was mounted.

The link http://www.spitronics.com/shop/index.php shows basically the kit I ordered, plus a coil driver, fuel pump relay combo and a idle controller. Still waiting for the modulator vale to come in. So far the kit set me back about €250 and then €78 for the Lamba sensor, new LX507 reluctor pickup and a bosch VW golf TPS.

Still not sure what I will do with the AFM. It's not needed, but I could rig it full open and leave it for a retro look or remove it altogether.

My biggest problem atm is my exhaust pipe. I need to weld in a plug for the Lamba sensor. Removing the downpipe with probably mean fixing broken studs etc.

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

Website.JPG

7 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Chas, I thought Megasquirt  was inexpensive, Spitronics is even cheaper. I don't see any mention on their site of the software used to tune the setup for individual applications or do they set that before shipping it out to you?  What are you using for Idle Air Control?

Hi Chris.

The software is in the download section. If you make an account you can download everything for free.

I made some screen shots of the software. It wasn't connected to the ECU so it doesn't show the maps I have in it now. Should have loaded the simulator to give a better picture of how it looks. There is also an Android app for the ecu, but no apple yet.

I have been picking bits out of the files of different vehicles (more than 80 in a Zip file and even more on there users forum). Im using one from a Nissan 300ZX (Z31) 6 cyl, but it had a wasted spark ingnition, so I used one from an old toyota single coil 6 cyl and plotted the 280Z distr. advance curve.

TuningSoftwareScreenshots.jpg

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Chas, Looks great. Good luck with the project.

I've never messed with any of that stuff, but if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Thanks captain, I might take you up on that. Im bound to run into a brick wall somewhere in the project.

Are you using the 280ZX TB just because it's off the car and easy to work on, for installing the TPS?  Or is there another reason?  The 280ZX TB is actually smaller in diameter than the 280Z TB.  Which is odd because, as many know, the ZX engine is rated at higher HP (calculation formula change and all of that).  Anyway, the hose to the ZX TB is smaller than the one to the Z, in case you weren't aware.  Might help make your AFM decision.

Edited by Zed Head

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Are you using the 280ZX TB just because it's off the car and easy to work on, for installing the TPS?  Or is there another reason?  The 280ZX TB is actually smaller in diameter than the 280Z TB.  Which is odd because, as many know, the ZX engine is rated at higher HP (calculation formula change and all of that).  Anyway, the hose to the ZX TB is smaller than the one to the Z, in case you weren't aware.  Might help make your AFM decision.

I noticed that yesterday as well. Never knew the 280ZX had a smaller throttle body. I haven't measured them yet. I'm basically using the ZX unit because I can work with it in the bench vice and leave the car alone.

Unfortunatly I don't have any exhaust manifold to play with, so the xar will be off the road when Im working on the Lamba sensor.