IGNORED

How to protect a new paint job during restoration

zKars

As mentioned in another thread I've been restoring a 71 for the past few months. One issue that has raised its ugly head is how to project a fresh paint job while assembling the rest of the parts on to the body, especially in a small shop where proximity between the car and whatever you're dragging past it is a constant concern.

I was watching one of the various car restoration shows on the speed channel, you know the ones, the ones where they restore a rusty incomplete classic to a new car in 5 days for twelve dollars. Yeah, fictional TV.

Anyway, I noticed at one point they had a protective film/cover all over one car protecting fenders doors, roof, everything. It looked like a sticky film with removable adhesive. When I search on-line all I get is ad after ad for the usual 3M paint protective films.

The stuff I saw being used seems like such a great way to apply a protective coating. It seals the paint and provides scuff protection. No dust, finger prints, accidental spray of whatever. 

Anybody care to share what they use to keep their projects protected or have a lead to this elusive temp protective stuff? 

As you might guess, the 71 is currently back at the body shop right now getting a few touchups.... 

I get a catalog that has protective coatings in there for construction projects and stuff. I don't have one laying around right now and I can't recall the name.  There is probably something in there that would work. I tried to google "static protective filmns" but didn't find anything really exciting there.

Ahh I found it! www.pro-tect.com

I got away with using a couple of old yoga mats that I borrowed from my wife. You were at my old garage so you know how tight it was to move around. I only had on little oops while installing the rain gutter trim on the roof, second  part I installed on the car.

Good idea about the carpet protection film. Got some coming from good old Amazon. We'll see,

Also found this stuff.. At least its intended for automotive use. It's only 2mil thick though...

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shopping/cat/clear-overlaminates/sub/thick-overlaminates-paint-protection/set/auto-wrap-shipping-protection-film

I used an old, very clean cotton car cover topped by a couple of layers of old bath towels used for various garage projects.  The bath towels will absorb any soft impacts.  No dings, scratches or other miscues during the assembly process in my very crowded garage.  Anything rubber might interact with fresh paint.

Just received my Amazon order of the protection film.  Very interesting stuff.

It is 3mil thick, has a nice sticky non-permanent adhesive, and feels really "tough" to the touch. Not at all like kitchen wrap, it has a smooth thick feeling, even though it's only 3mil thick.

I stuck it on every surface I could find in the house, smooth and rough alike. Sticks real well and peels right off. 

Packaging claims its a water based adhesive that washes off easily if any does transfer. Good for 45 days plus or minus.

I'm going out to stick it all over a Z fender, drop some tools at it, and see how it holds up. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok, here is the proof of usefulless.

I think I like this stuff. It's tough, has a fairly high friction on the face so tools don't slide off, and it stays in place of course with the great adhesive, but will never have a problem coming off. It seals the surface underneath from all contaminants too.

All the sheets, blankets, yogurt mats, etc, that fall off, are never in the right place and that grind muck into the finish are toast around here except for utility use. Now I can leave tools on the fender and cowl like old times instead of the spank tool tray. Well no, I'll keep that, but this reduce the trips to the touch up booth.....

I also have to test its resilience to long distance welding and grinding sparks too...  Probably burns like gas soaked rags. Have to check that as well...

IMG_7765.JPG

IMG_7767.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG

• Like 3

Today found another use for this stuff.

I'm putting the bumpers back on after some "improvements" (rubbers, more on that later), and as usual when doing this, I'm concerned about the corners scratching the paint on the fenders as the bumper is placed onto the mounts. I would typically wrap the bumper ends in towels or something or tape sheets to the car.

Not today. I just cut a couple of 18 x 24 in pieces of this stuff, (reused the stuff I used on the fender yesterday) stuck it to the car on both sides, and slammed on dah bumper. Then peeled those pieces off and put them on the back to do that one.

IMG_7768.JPG

IMG_7769.JPG

Check out those rubber strips. They are not stock or repro's. They are however, cheap, lovely and easy to get and apply. Meat for another thread.

• Like 1