IGNORED

Air Conditioning.....

Redwing

Hi all,

Things are really looking good, we are nearing the time to start with the purchase of the AC for RedBird.  I took RB to see Sam this morning, and we talked for over an hour and a half.  He said it would take him about a week, and he charges $10 for an (honest) hour of labor.  After we were talking, he said that there was no way he ever "takes" (you know, what goes around,  comes around) anybody, and especially he would never do that to a 73 year old lady.  Ha!  Age does have some benefits!!!   He is a very pleasant gentleman, 64 years old, has been doing this work since he was 29.  He has several large shop buildings on his property, all holding cars in various stages of  restoration, and/or full of all kinds of parts.  Doing one now that he has taken off all aftermarket parts, and replacing only with GM parts.  He says, it is a 1967 GTO.  Boy is it pretty.  Sam did a full restoration on it, from the ground up.  He also has a barn find in fairly rough condition, a 1940 Mercury.  Just turned away an offer of $2500.  He wants $3500 cash for it.  Anyone interested ?  I'll  get photos.  Kinda neat.

Onward -  Even tho Sam doesn't use eBay, when I showed him the unit I saw there, he got ok with it.  This company has been putting together AC units to be  installed for 30 years.  :D    He said to order and get the unit, and bring it to him.  The unit is like one on eBay, but I called them as I don't  need the vents, etc.  So for the whole unit, up front of and inside RB, new parts, will be $1395.  This includes a new expansion valve, evaporator core, heater core, and blower.  It will take them 7 - 10 days to ship it.  I'm  really excited!  Now to finish the groundwork.  

BTW...  I'm taking RB to a car show here in Dalton Saturday, at the Convention Center.   Just for fun and to have a day of talking with folks about cars.  I have been given a priority "seat" inside the AC building with RB.  I wouldn't have been able to go and sit outside in this heat all day.  Sure sounds like a good day for me. Photos will follow.

Y'all have a super day.  Anxious to hear your thoughts on my proposed AC system.

Jai   :P

• Like 2

Dear Redwing,

My moniker is Old Hat for a reason and I have owned my 240Z for almost 40 years.  I noted one of the replies you got opined that after 40 years Z's were basically toast.  Don't you believe it.  My Z has approximately 175,000 miiles and the only mechanical repair was a water pump about 30 years ago.  Have owned a number of automobiles in my lifetime and the Z is by far the most reliable, good looking, and fun to drive  Of course a lot depends on how the vehicle is maintained and location.  I live in California in an inland community so rust is not a problem ,which Z's are susceiptible to..  If you intend to keep the car I believe any money you put into either mechanical or cosmetic issues  (within reason) will return you dividends  in the form of  enjoyment  and a good chance a return of your money if down the road you decide to sell. as Z's appear to be steadily appreciating in value.  Enjoy your Z!

• Like 2

On 7/8/2016 at 11:16 PM, Old Hat said:

Dear Redwing,

My moniker is Old Hat for a reason and I have owned my 240Z for almost 40 years.  I noted one of the replies you got opined that after 40 years Z's were basically toast.  Don't you believe it.  My Z has approximately 175,000 miiles and the only mechanical repair was a water pump about 30 years ago.  Have owned a number of automobiles in my lifetime and the Z is by far the most reliable, good looking, and fun to drive  Of course a lot depends on how the vehicle is maintained and location.  I live in California in an inland community so rust is not a problem ,which Z's are susceiptible to..  If you intend to keep the car I believe any money you put into either mechanical or cosmetic issues  (within reason) will return you dividends  in the form of  enjoyment  and a good chance a return of your money if down the road you decide to sell. as Z's appear to be steadily appreciating in value.  Enjoy your Z!

Old Hat..

Very cute moniker.  :rolleyes:  

I agree, I'm not going to get depressed about RedBird's age.  I bought a 1971 240 new off the showroom floor.  I drove her for 259,000 miles without any serious problems.  The most I recall was  rear U -  joints.  But there are several back there, so maybe only each one was replaced.  I'm  now the happy owner, of a single owner 1976 - 280 Z, that had spent her life in Scottsdale, AZ.  She has minimum problems interior and exterior, was loved and well kept.  A few things that had to be repaired to make her run 100% now.  I was taught by my Dad how to take care of the 1971, and feel that is why she was so faithful to me.  That was many years ago,  but I remember, and am now actually caring for RB more intensively.  I do not have a garage here, but built a brand new carport for her to live in.    We are a good pair, mature, with some problems, but we both have a zeal for life with a lot of it left for the future.  :P

Since you sent this comment to me, I took my RB to a car show, just for fun.  A big surprise, she won Second Place in the Classics division.  Just amazing.  Proof to me that I'm on the right track!  But then again, I don't  know how many classics were at the show.  Maybe there were only two!  Hahaha...  A possible joke on me.  I don't care, she is perfect in my eyes, and we had a good time.  Lots of love given to her while there, folks really appreciated her.  Like so many do on this CZCC list.  Thanks guys, all of you are special to us!  :D

Have fun, Jai

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

looks like could be a hole in the evap. best bet would be to put controls back in place as they were, pull evap and get into contact with some suppliers about a replacement. Hopefully the only prob with the orig sys was the evap. I just cant under stand how it could have been so badly damaged. I am assuming of course that pic is of the evap, its too close to determine actual location (under dash, or in front of rad). Core material looks like evap.

3 hours ago, Patcon said:

That's a factory evap, she does not have any of the factory housing. One thing too remember also is you are gambling on the TVX being good.