IGNORED

76 Locking Gas Cap

Mark Maras

16 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Jim,

That's looks good. If Jai wants yellow zinc I would take a stab at it with my Caswell setup for free. Just remember you get what you pay for...B)

Maybe I'd best plan on paying you then.

He he...

23 hours ago, Redwing said:

Maybe I'd best plan on paying you then.

He he...

My only concern is, that might not help

23 hours ago, zKars said:

Charles that's great idea. Thanks for the free plating offer.  Do you have a way to weld that bead before you do the plating? Doesn't make $$ sense for me to ship to you then you to her. Maybe just get Jai's and do the mod for her.. You two are on the same side of the continent!. In the meantime Jai can order up a cap then by the time you're done, she'll have all the pieces. 

My concern would be knowing how and where to weld it. I have the welder but without a cap to test it, I might be flying blind. The powder coat looks good though...

Charles, let's not complicate this too much. Jai, if it's ok, let me send a few rings out for CAD plating, or powder coat if you prefer, then send you one direct.  You purchase a locking cap on-line. Please contact me at z240@shaw.ca and we'll discuss details and options with costs. 

Charles, do you want me to send you a modded ring that you can use for a pattern?

I've just realized there is a considerable fly in the ointment about my little locking cap solution. 

Only the 240's have that external filler neck ring that is so easy to remove and apply a weld bead to.. 260 and up has a much larger filler neck like this. There is a unique filler neck for the 2+2 according to the fiche, and the 77-78 models are different again, with the smaller cap and no chance at all of a locking cap. 

Dang.

image.jpeg

No way to get in from the end and place that weld bead. 

However there is a way to make this work, I think a screw/bolt in from the side at the right spot at just the right length would accomplish the same task of providing a stopper for the locking caps tang to hit, just like the weld bead. You'd have to seal that bolt in that hole as well to prevent leaks. Little welding for that, or JB weld....

Getting this sucker out of your car is perhaps the most challenging thing. 

So long story short, if you have a 260/280 and want me to do the mod, you're going to have to send me the whole filler neck. I only have a couple of these, so cores will be required. You lucky 240 folks can just get a modded filler ring off me.

Questions?

• Like 1

Steve, after three statements of fact, I'm inclinded to believe you, but take a closer look. Are there three or four bolts holding the filler neck to the body? Four is the larger from the backside later filler neck style. The bolts thread through the body and thread into the flange in the filler neck.  Yes the fill cap and opening in the filler neck are the same up to end of 76, and look very similar. 

Can you post a picture of your filler area? I gotta see this.

Here is a pair of 2+2 and coupe  260/280 filler necks for later reference. the longer below the body 2+2 one is even marked "2/2" 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg