IGNORED

Blowby-too much smoke!

zmanoside

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys sorry for the lack of update. i just had some minor surgery yesterday so I will be out for a couple weeks. So, I know I know I was all moto to take care of this piston ring problem myself but at this point in time I really just want to have the car back on the road. I called a reputable Datsun shop here in San Diego and got a very good quote to get this done. If I feel up to it I will get the car to him on Tuesday next week and have it back by Friday. If I did it myself I wouldn't even be able to start working on it for weeks and weeks (no lifting or strenuous activity from the surgery). I did get the book mentioned and will start going through it soon. I'm really just wanting to drive the damn car at this point. I'll let you guys know what he finds in there. Hopefully no cylinder damage. --Z

Dropped the car off this afternoon. Had a bunch of Zcars in the mix in the garage! Also, spoke with Les Cannaday out of Classic Datsun Motorsports about the car before I took it down. He knew of Buck and the shop I was taking it to and said he does great work. I am confident she is in good hands! Fingers crossed for cylinder 6's good fortune!!

• Like 1

Got a call this morning bright and early. Rings from #6 were broken and in oil pan. #6 piston has a cracked skirt. #5 piston skirt is also cracked with damaged, but still in place rings. Mechanic called to ask if he could proceed to remove the rest of the pistons to inspect the remaining pistons and cylinders. Obviously I said yes. He said the #6 cylinder didn't actually look too bad, and will most likely be fine with a good honing, and the rods and bearings looked good too. So I think at this point its looking like a new set of pistons and rings. Hopefully all of the cylinders will be good with just a hone....

• Like 1