IGNORED

Water pump options and where to get

deadflo

46 minutes ago, hr369 said:

I'm getting confused as to who actually supplied nissan for water pumps. All the ones i've ever taken off are Atsugi but others here say Aisin

and bonzai motorworks says GMB.    Can't go wrong with Bonzai and his price is good.

Bonzai motorworks

Edit:  i'm guessing all 3 were suppliers

I believe Aisin is the main player. The reman I just bolted on, I could see where Aisin or Atsugi was ground off the pump. 

I have Aisin on my Camry.

I think the stamped steel creates some sort of electrolysis with the different types of water. The best thing is half and half using distilled water, IMHO.

In general, the automotive manufacturers put much time and money in to designing and testing parts, for performance and durability.  Aftermarket suppliers generally put their time and money  in to producing a similar appearing product that works long enough to get past the warranty period.   The cynical view.

I thought that cavitation was a problem with the L6 system.  The cast versus stamped discussion covers almost every car brand out there.  You can search the Google and find all kinds of reading.  I tend towards the factory design generally unless there's evidence shown for a change.  Nobody has ever advertised improved performance  from the flat stamped steel blades, from what I've seen.  Hard to imagine going away from flat and square, if it works, to an intricately curved cast blade, but not totally implausible.  

Side note - if you misspell performance very badly, "necromancer" is suggested as the word you meant.

Here's an interesting site showing a water pump modification.  Just to give an idea of the variation people see.  A good understanding of how the pump works and an inspection of what you get is probably worth doing.  

http://www.wallaceracing.com/water-pump-mods.php

Here's the link it came from - http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411256

I love talking about stuff like this...

Edit - just noticed that the thread I linked went on for 1324 posts, over a year and a half.  I've only made it through page one, post #20.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for all the great info, guys! I managed to track one of the good ones down locally, after a few call to parts stores. I'm gonna have to take the pressed steel one back to NAPA. Anyway just glad I was able to get the pump off yesterday without the bolts being stuck!