IGNORED

Seat upgrade -350z seats

madkaw

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't kept up with thread very well. I usually am sitting in hotels with time to type, but be home more often-a good thing!

I have had the seats mounted in and have been driving around for weeks. I really do like the seats as far as comfort level. Making seat position changes at my finger tips is nice. Reaching back to turn the "knob" on my old seats was awkward. Changing on the fly makes trying new positions of comfort easy. Wiring couldn't be any easier . The connector is at the front of the seat with four connecting tabs. I just wired hot and ground and done. The other two tabs are the heat, but haven't done that yet. I have extra fuse boxes in my car so I was able to draw power thru a separate fuse and grounded things right at the seat mount.

With my seat mounting I was able to keep the seat low enough to sit in there with a helmet on. I can't have the seat in the most upright position with a helmet on, but just a slight recline I fit in there well. I had my buddy sit in there and he is 6'4", and he felt comfortable enough( NO HELMET). The seats(especially driver's) probably does NOT go back as far as original, but very close. With seat all the way back and the playing with the recline, my friend felt very comfortable. He actually has more height clearance in my car than his own completely stock 71. He did use a thicker headliner and has new seat cushions that are not broke in.

The Wesco seats belts are a great fit, but I thought it funny that the inertia reels are as touchy as my old Nissans. I think I will take the above advice and tether the inboard seat frame to the floor.

The threads I've seen on this the guys have not kept the plastic on the sides of the seat, but it can be done with some trimming. I didn't want to look at seat mechanicals when I opened the door. It definitely makes for a more finished look to leave the trims on. 

Non-power seats is probably the better option for weight and for greater leg room on the driver's side, but this would probably only be a problem for very tall folks. And how many times are you going to use the adjustment on the passenger side. The passenger seat does have a quick release to tilt the back forward. It will make it easy to grad something in the back from the passenger side. 

A more forward head rest would also be nice. Most newer seats have the head rest canted forward, which I like. I might consider a slight tweak on the headrest posts-later.

I will post more pics when I get my camera out. My I phone is not cooperating

Steve, did you take any pics of the seat mount adapters you built? I haven't got to it yet but I will have to do the same thing. Yeah the Wesco inertia reels are really touchy, everyone who gets in the car gets the warning, " Now pull your seat belt out VERY slowly"

Chris

Well the uploader finally worked. You can see I had runners 3/16" flat stock from mount to mount and horizontal to go seat frame side to side. That was all welded together to make the mount brackets and of course welded to the seat frame. I need to pull them back out for paint and will take more pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 5/8/2016 at 7:03 PM, madkaw said:

That was all welded together to make the mount brackets and of course welded to the seat frame.

Madkaw, I started on my seat project. I have 350z power seats. I’m worried about welding the frame to the seat tracks. There are plastic parts inside the tracks and that’s a lot of heat. Advice?