IGNORED

Wheel and tire size recommendations

dvorak

I'm working on a '73 240z, and while I'm fine with mechanical work and such, wheels and tire sizes are a completely different world to me. My 240 is basically stock with the L28 and 5-speed swap, and Tokico Illumia adjustables. My daily is my motorcycle so the Z would be mostly when I need to haul stuff around, when it rains, and the occasional time when I feel like carving up the hills. I guess i'm looking for a decently grippy all weather tire. I'm leaning toward the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole position. So far I like the XXR 527 and 551 but I don't know what size or offset or any of that. I don't want them to stick out and don't want to put fender flares on.

Basically I want to know whats a good rim and tire size combo that i can run without rubbing and perform decently?

I have 15x7 Rewinds too, with 205/50s.  Zero offset on a lowered 240, springs were cut, no problems.

post-23570-0-75280500-1444062666_thumb.j

16x7 Rewinds with 205/55s on this car, they rubbed on the lowered orange one but no problems on this car.  I honestly don't like the 16" wheels, too much for my taste.

post-23570-0-27844300-1444062777_thumb.j

Edited by siteunseen

If you go with a 16x8 or wider, you will likely want to run 225/50R16 tires and they will likely rub both the front and rear fenders.  The fronts will rub the front edge of the fender while turning and backing and the rears will rub the fender lips.

I'd go with a 15x7 ET0 and run 225/45R50 tires.  BFG Rival and Hankook RS3 are both very good and come in that size.  If performance isn't as critical, 205/50R15 will fit well too.  If you really want 16" wheels, I'd stick with 16x7 and go with 205/50R16 tires.  The wider tires will require modifications to combat the rubbing.

I'm running 225/50 x16 Continental Extreme DW tires on 16 x7" Konig rewinds. Overall tire diameter is 24.9" which is very close to original diameter. I have an air-dam on front so front tire rub is not an issue.

In retrospect the tires are too tall for my liking. A 205/50 x15 tires looks much better. Overall diameter of a 205/50 x 15 is 23.1" to 23.3" which looks much better on the car IMHO, particularly if the car is lowered. Unfortunately 15" rims limit you somewhat in tire choice. That's partly why I went with 16" rims. The other reason is that I have a BBK with 12" rotors up front.

I'm looking at switching to a 205/45 x 16" tire. That will give me the desired overall tire diameter ( 23.1" ) and allow me to lower the car more. Unfortunately Conti doesn't make any tires in that size. I'll probably have to go with  Yoko " S " Drive, Dunlop Direzza DZ102 or Bridgestone RE760 Sport.

Or I may see if I can fit 15 x7 rims on the car and sell my 16"s. Then I'm back to the limited 15" tire selection. I live in the PNW, so a tire that is good in rain is imperative. The Conti Extreme DW is an awesome tire, but sizes are limited.

Here is a picture of car with 16 x7 Rewinds ( Zero offset ) and Conti 225/50 x16's ( 24.9" Dia ) . Car has Eibach springs and is approx 1" lower that stock. I want to go lower profile tires ( 23.1" ) and have fender lips level with tires. Car does ride very nice at this stance, but a bit too high for my tastes.

IMG_20140830_150537.jpg

PS. Bumper, side skirts, rear skirts and rear spoiler are coming off this Winter. PO put them on and not to my taste. I like the clean, curved sexy look of the original Z body. Front air dam I'll probably keep.

Edited by Chickenman
  • Like 1

Mitchell, that's why I went with 16" wheels, but like Chickenman, I think the OD is too big.  When I got my 16" wheels, there were very few good 15" summer tires, but since then, there are actually more on the market.  On my race car, I will use 225/45R15 and I might try to switch my street car to 225/45R16 rather than the 225/50R16 tires I currently run.  The 205's are just a bit too narrow for my needs.