IGNORED

Have I wrecked this?

I echo everyone's recommendations above, the strut housing needs to be replaced.

People are parting out suspension components all the time.  I assume this is for your '70 240z listed in your signature?  Is it the front back, left right?  Look on CL, look on the Datsun Parts site on Facebook, Datsun Classifieds, or Ebay.  If you don't want to wait post up a want ad.  Someone out there has one sitting on a shelf taking up valuable space.

Yeah, you are all right, I hadn't thought about torque the gland nut requires to hold the shock down,

and if it does pop out while taking a corner it could get messy.

I like to kid myself that if I can fix it then it's like I didn't screw it up in the first place.

Jim, thanks for the offer and I might take you up on it if I can't find something closer to home.

Thank you all.

If I could travel back in time it wouldn't be to see a long lost love or make a fortune on the stock market,

it would be to go around and visit all the repair shops that would ever work on my future cars to hand out free tubes of anti-seize compound. "Please gentleman, feel free to use it on every nut, bolt and screw you come in contact with. The future thanks you."

• Like 1

Yeah, you are all right, I hadn't thought about torque the gland nut requires to hold the shock down,

and if it does pop out while taking a corner it could get messy.

I like to kid myself that if I can fix it then it's like I didn't screw it up in the first place.

Whew -BIG RELIEF!!!  I was beginning to feel we were going to have to send in an intervention team prior to ZCON 2016.