IGNORED

Vogtland springs

drawz

They are not progressive.

My ride quality is pretty good. I have no complaints.

Springs are stiffer than stock, for sure. I haven't had any issues over bumps thus far. I have urethane bump stops but in my somewhat limited experience I don't think I have ever bottomed them out hard.

Overall I am pretty happy... but you may have trouble finding them now as many places that listed them (ebay & brandcarparts) stopped stocking them a while back. Maybe they have more now but I don't know.

I got them because I wanted a small amount of lowering, to not deal with the possible uneven problems some have with progressives, and a slightly higher spring force for more composed handling. In my research of them initially I didn't read anyone that was unhappy with the harshness (or lack of) in the ride. I unfortunately do not have miles on the car with the stock springs to offer a comparison.

Edited by DaveR
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.   FYI, I emailed JDMWerks via eBay and he confirmed these springs are progressive.  

Also, JDMWerks just received a new shipment of these springs.  They have been out of stock since October.  Vogtland must make a large batch for JDMWerks and ship them together since he does have the exclusive on this specific 240Z model spring.

I believe that's what they told you about them being progressive... But I would put my money on that being incorrect. I don't know if that will change your decision at all, but yea. 

That is counter to what I found during my research of them. 

http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/363090-stagg-shocks-struts-vogtland-lowering-springs.html#/topics/363090?page=1&_k=t2fop0

They talk about exact spring rates here.

Edited by DaveR

Hi Dave,

There is a Vogtland office in California.  I just called them and left a message to have them confirm if this specific 240Z spring is progressive.  I update my post once I hear back from them.

Address

VOGTLAND North America

43391 Business Park Dr. Suite C10
Temecula, CA 92590, USA

Contact

Phone: +1-951 694 6981
Fax: +1-951 694 6985

E-Mail: information@vogtland-na.com
Edited by mgmoreau

Some of the people that looked into these in past threads mentioned that their attempts to contact Vogtland ended with the Vogtland rep not knowing the part number. Presumably because they were a special order production batch for a small group which would make sense. Maybe by now with multiple runs they are more in the loop.

Anyway, I'm personally unaware of a way to make progressive springs with a uniform coil spacing, or at least a method that they are likely to use in production. (Varying the tempering at different heights in the coil spring for instance)  Springs like Eibach have a clear difference in spacing at different positions that demonstrate this. Vogtlands are uniform throughout. (and also pretty impossible to tell top from bottom, I don’t believe they have a correct orientation FYI.  Both ways fit pretty good in the spring seats when I installed them)

Again I don’t add this to defend my position or argue about it, just because I wouldn’t want you to desire progressives and not get them. Progressive or not I am happy with my set, so either way they are a good option. I have also not had any problems with the car not being level.

In fact, if you want to a new linear & slighted lowered (and stiffer than stock) spring I think these are one of the few lower cost options available.

Cheers

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for your detailed reply.  I am not so concerned whether the springs are labeled as progressive.  My primary concern was that I was told most lowering springs that are not  progressive will give the car a harsh ride.  Based on your feedback on your ride experience I am going to go with ordering these springs.  I want to drop the height of my Z since I have 15" low profile tires on Konig Rewind wheels and the gap in the fenders is too large.

rsz_z_photos_fall_2013_008_ver3_ (1).jpg

May I ask what cars you would be comparing the ride to? Or if you are looking for a plush touring car ride?

My daily driver is a 2005 Subaru STI with stock suspension. Definitely a performance car ride, although nothing like an aftermarket setup. So compared to this the Datsun feels good and similarly sporty. 

My purpose for the springs was less about the lowering and more about ditching the saggy old springs while I was replacing a blown strut. While it did lower the car a little compared to what fresh stock springs may have been, it was far from slamming the car. 

So, a slightly firmer linear spring with a noticable but reasonable amount of lowering. 

Did you not want to get eibach springs? They seem to be the de facto progressive option. And I do believe in most cases people's issues with them are probably incorrect installation.

Dave, I am not looking for a plush touring car ride.   This is my toy car so I want it to handle well and provide a reasonable ride but not rattle my teeth over bumps.   My daily driver is an Infiniti M35 S RWD which has somewhat of a sports suspension due to RWD but it is still a very comfortable car to commute to work in.   

I am not looking for the slammed tuner look with no gap between the fender and tires.  Simply want to drop the car about 1 to 1.5 inches to reduce the current wheel gap. Do the eibach lower the car more than these Vogtland's?

I decided on Vogtland also and received my 240Z springs last week. They definitely do not look progressive like Eibachs.

They do look a lot heavier spring than I thought. Have to wait now as its going to be April before its warm enough to install these.

The (VA) fronts are 12 coils and a free length of 12-1/2 inches. Rate 152 pounds.

The (HA) rears are 10 coils and a free length of 11-1/2 inches. Rate 170 pounds.

I had the Eibach progressives on one of my 71's and they had a bit of a float/bounce on some bumps.  Plus the rear was lower than the front - yes they were properly installed - front on the front and rear on the rear.  I drove a friends Z with Vogtland springs and liked it.  I swapped for the Vogtlands.  The car sits level and the ride is stiff, but not near what my other Z is with the BRE springs.  I think you'll be happy with the Vogtland springs.

• Like 1

I currently run the Eibachs, and I went from Tokico HP's to the Eibach pros. The Eibachs are progressive as stated, and the ride is softer than the Tokicos, but they are darn fine for a street spring.  They make getting up and over speed bumps a non scraping affair. They also allow a jack to be fitted with ease even under the spook.

Having said that, I though my car looked more aggressive with the Tokicos and since they are NLA I may look into a set of these Vogtlands sprnigs.  If they are made in Germany that makes them a cousin to Bilstien, which has to be good!