IGNORED

To Dream the Impossible Dream (Redwing's Z cars)

FastWoman

Jai, most manufacturers start manufacturing the next year's model towards the end of the year.

How wonderful if you can get a printed manual for the '76 gratis!  There are some great people on this list!

I agree that the EFI of the 280Z is worth keeping.  There shouldn't be *too* much work to do on that system to make it solid, provided the manifolds are mounted/sealed up solidly.  The proceeds from the sale of the 240 should keep your 280 on the road for a long time.  To me it sounds like a prudent plan to sell the 240 to support the 280.  And as you say, you will be doing the right thing for the car itself.

I totally "get" your moving Redwing's shifter knob and steering wheel to the 280.  Those are very personal items, and they should stay with you.

Jai. I know it would be a hard dicision to make, but I think your best option is to move forward with the 280Z.

Be carefull with sentimental value, it can come at a cost and that is what you are trying to avoid right now.

Point is; The 280Z was runnin recently and the 240Z was not. Looking at the photos, I think you will come across a lot of hidden problems and the assosiated costs. Penny and dime costs can really add up.

If the fuel injection is causing you a lot of grief, than the carby swap from the 240Z could be your best alternative.

Fault finding, especially the way most of us do it, is to replace suspect parts. Doesn't mean that part has failed completly, just highly suspect. If that doesn't fix it you move on to thenext item in the list of suspect parts causing the problem.

This is not a very atractive option for your sistuation as it can run into high costs.

The FSM will be your first step and then diagnosing the problem and how to best approach it.

Can you join a local Z club? That you be a good move. Most clubs have members that are friendly and eager to help.

Chas

• Like 1

God bless you, and thank you for your kindness. Question tho, if the door plate says built in 10/75, is it a 76 model? I bought it as a '76. The photo of the plate is in my gallery.

Also, I just put in my gallery, the photo of the door plate from my 240Z. It says 10/70, so is it a '70 Z?

It was manufactured on 10/70  but they sold it as a 71 year.

This is something for Car S.O.S :D ( Discovery Channel ) ... I can't see anything on the condition of the 240Z from that pictures. But living on such a tight budget, I would sell the 280 first, to raise some money for the 240..

Would love to have a look or help, but don't live in the US.

Agree with what Hardway wrote. And, I think 2k is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to getting the 240z running safely. I personally wouldn't abandon the FI in the 280.

Jai, I am 90% sure I have a printed 76 fsm. I am traveling this week so won't know for sure until I return. PM me your mailing address and if I have one I will send to you.

If you don't have one, she can have mine. It's been with my car since new so is a little rough but complete. I can deal with electronic versions. Also, once I get my Z back on the road, I'd be willing to convoy up there with some others and see what we can do. I just finished dropping and cleaning my gas tank and will be replacing some iffy fuel lines and such this weekend so I've got a little experience with these cars now.

• Like 1

Jai,

Just be patient for right now. I talked with Chet tonight. He's up for a field trip out to your place around the end of the month. I'll bring all my favorite diagnostic toys. I'm sure Chet has a few, too. You can use our opinions to help you with charting a good course to having a drivable Z.

• Like 2

Everyone...

You folks are Just Wonderful. I am so amazed at your offers to me, and truly bless your sweet hearts! Yes I will wait for you all, using my neighbors and son for trips to wherever, or borrowing vehicles. I am much at peace knowing I will not have to put her in the hands of a non Z person to work on her. You all are an answer to my prayers.

Thank you...

• Like 1

Mr. K is smiling right now!

001.jpg

"Love cars, love people, and love life."

I've owned quite a few sports cars in my life and have belonged to several classic car communities.  I've got to say there is more good karma on this list, in this community, and surrounding this car, than I've seen anywhere else.  Thanks for helping Jai out, guys!

And Jai, "Enjoy the ride."  :)

• Like 3