IGNORED

260z Ignition system electrical trouble

Clomolina24

Could you please explain how the crane module and optical dizzy pickup works and how it would benefit me installing it please?

The Crane module eliminates the original transistor unit,wiring harness and all.

I mounted mine on the drivers side fender well and it pulls power from from the coil wiring harness,uses optical pickups in the distributor that eliminate the magnetic ones.

post-22314-0-20610200-1433739136_thumb.j

post-22314-0-72721100-1433739185_thumb.j

These are pictures I had in my phone, these are not the most up to date but all have done since is change the ignition coil and the spark plug wires but thats all!

I really appreciate the help, hopefully together we can find a solution to my problem

The first thing to do is know what you have, and get at least a basic idea of how it works.  Your distributor could be used to trigger a $20 GM HEI module that would work just as well as the Crane module.  But, it looks like your distributor itself may need work (Post #4) .  It has the typical rust trails on the breaker plate and it looks like the plastic bearing cage might be misaligned which could mean it's broken and your vacuum advance is stuck.  If that is the case it might be most effective, both cost-wise and for simplicity, to get a ZX distributor.

Find the stock module first though.

The Crane module eliminates the original transistor unit,wiring harness and all.

I mounted mine on the drivers side fender well and it pulls power from from the coil wiring harness,uses optical pickups in the distributor that eliminate the magnetic ones.

Thank you for those pictures!, they help me get a better idea of what you're referring to!.......Could you by any chance post pictures of how you have wired your ignition coil just so I can verify that I am doing it properly!

Thank you

Could any one please explain how obtaining this Points to Electronic conversion kit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-700-0292/overview/make/nissan/model/260z) might help me?

Would it maybe eliminate my problem?, or be of any help?

I had one of those in my 240Z. It died after 14 years of very light use. I replaced it with a 280ZX ignition.

If you REALLY want to do a conversion, search here for HEI. IIRC, you can use it to replace the TIU. There is even a thread about mounting the HEI module inside the box for the TIU.