IGNORED

260z Ignition system electrical trouble

Clomolina24

Can anyone please explain to me the ignition system of a 260z, Im getting no spark to the spark plugs and I doubt its even being transferred to the distributor (previous owner changed points to electronic).......

I get power to the ignition coil(new one), but when I turn the switch I get 12 volts on the possitive side and also on the negative side, and I'm pretty sure there is a wiring issue, a corroded wire or maybe a bad ignition module, so thats why I wold like to know the ignition system and what wires run from where to where so I could hopefully trace the problem down and get my car started...

Thank you

You say the PO replaced the points ignition system for an electronic ignition. Can you post photos? Its a bit hard to sugest anything not knowing what it is. Try to capture the wiring in a photo as well.

If you see 12volts on both sides of the coil. It just means there is no load on the coil and the negative side is open circuit. That is normal for electonic ignition when the engine is not running.

Here is a quick video on electronic ignition and how it works.

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=zw1uVa3jJYP4ywP66oPgBw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DQYx8J_5l5wY&ved=0CB8QtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEZFJDo9IW1XtQgTfky4zIFc3JP_g

The 260Z came stock with electronic ignition from the factory.  It was the first year of electronic.  It's probably the stock ignition system.

The wiring schematic and diagrams are in the nicoclub and xenons30 link provided before.  Engine Electrical chapter, for one.

These are pictures I had in my phone, these are not the most up to date but all have done since is change the ignition coil and the spark plug wires but thats all!

I really appreciate the help, hopefully together we can find a solution to my problem

post-30121-0-82615400-1433280834_thumb.j

post-30121-0-89886600-1433280857_thumb.j

post-30121-0-67737600-1433280876_thumb.j

As Zed Head said, look at the EE section of the FSM. You also have a Transistor Ignition Unit (TIU) in the cabin. It's located on the passenger side kick panel. It's difficult to miss. 

What concerns me is that in the last picture, there is a non-factory crimped lug on one of the reluctor wires. 

How about some history on the car? Did it ever run?

You were so close at 3:48.  Just on the other side of the firewall is what you're looking for.  Seeing all the daylight through that hole though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's disconnected.

The module is in the cabin, probably above and ahead of the fuse box (where it is in 1976 anyway).  It is in an aluminum case, with fins.

I would use the 1975 Engine Electrical chapter for testing and setting the distributor.  It's better written than 1974, I think.

post-19298-0-22346000-1433623962.png

I had an ignition module issue that was giving me fits until I replaced it with the Crane module and optical dizzy pickup.

Stronger, more reliable spark and no more 40 year old ignition demons.

Best $109.00 spent on my car.

Edited by idoxlr8

I had an ignition module issue that was giving me fits until I replaced it with the Crane module and optical dizzy pickup.

Stronger, more reliable spark and no more 40 year old ignition demons.

Best $109.00 spent on my car.

Could you please explain how the crane module and optical dizzy pickup works and how it would benefit me installing it please?

You were so close at 3:48.  Just on the other side of the firewall is what you're looking for.  Seeing all the daylight through that hole though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's disconnected.

The module is in the cabin, probably above and ahead of the fuse box (where it is in 1976 anyway).  It is in an aluminum case, with fins.

I would use the 1975 Engine Electrical chapter for testing and setting the distributor.  It's better written than 1974, I think.

Yeah I was thinking if maybe that could be an issue, I will make sure to check for it on Monday and maybe go ahead and get another one just in case!

The modules are kind of expensive.  There are some simple tests that you can run but you need to make sure it's connected properly first.

And, no offense, but you'll need to do the same with the Crane module. 

Edited by Zed Head