IGNORED

Ten Ways the 240z Revolutionized the Sports Car

Mike

I can confirm the 120+. Bone stock, early 71 Z on the PIR track. Speedo read 124mph. Probably off by a little but the speedo was accurate at 60mph. At that speed it felt like air resistance was the limiting factor, not the engine. I also remember how the front would try to lift if you were driving into the wind. No air dam or spoiler on the car. Lots of fun until it lifted going into a high speed corner. The fun turned into an agricultural racing "Big Moment". In retrospect that made it even more fun.

I also remember how the front would try to lift if you were driving into the wind. No air dam or spoiler on the car. Lots of fun until it lifted going into a high speed corner. The fun turned into an agricultural racing "Big Moment". In retrospect that made it even more fun.

That high speed lift wasn't limited to the race track. I remember catching a strong crosswind while driving the Interstate near Topeka, KS that lifted my Z and moved it from the slow lane to the fast lane. Had I been in the fast lane, I would have ended up in the center divider. There was a stretch of Interstate back then (around 1972) that had orange wind socks in the center divider as a visual warning to drivers of strong crosswinds. I wonder if they're still there.

Dennis

Dennis, I remember being buffeted around sideways on I-5 but nothing that pushed me more than 2-3 ft. Wind socks on the freeway? That must be a tough stretch of road. I haven't seen the weather improving the last few years so the socks are probably in use or blown away.

Cliff, Yes they do lift at high speed. In the past instead of replacing the arms, I squeezed the clip (hog ring) that anchors the bottom of the spring. I have also seen small wind deflectors(think venetian blind) that mount on the blades.

Dennis, I remember being buffeted around sideways on I-5 but nothing that pushed me more than 2-3 ft. Wind socks on the freeway? That must be a tough stretch of road. I haven't seen the weather improving the last few years so the socks are probably in use or blown away.

Continuing off topic, there must be some forum members familiar with I-70 between Topeka and KC, as well as west of Topeka, who might know if the wind socks are still up. I may bring up Google Earth and scan down the highway to see if I can spot one.

Dennis