IGNORED

L28+(maxima)47 build

Well #2 MN47 head came and it's junk also. This time I will have to fight for my money back. I will post pics but the cam was rusted into place. I called as soon as I opened the box. I called A1A in Lakeland FL and the guy proceeded to tell me I could just bead blast it and it would be okay. He's done that many times before. After cussing him out I called my CC company and refuted the charge. The crook won't take my money. I think the idiot-MIKE- really thought it would clean up. This thing must have sat outside for years.

Edited by madkaw

Weren't you just looking for the aluminum?  The head.  One free bent head with a cam, and one $150 straight head with no cam.  = one $150 straight head with a cam.

There's a 1982 Maxima in the Vancouver, WA Pick n Pull right now.  If you know someone out here.

There's two not far from me, Hokes Bluff Auto Parts.  They're online with the salvage parts lookup program.

http://www.car-part.com/

'83 and an '84.  $100 and $125.

Call them and see if you're interested, I'll go and take pictures then get it and mail it to you.  Maybe we'll get both for a deal?  I'm sure they've been sitting for years, money talks out there.  ;)

Edited by siteunseen

There's two not far from me, Hokes Bluff Auto Parts.  They're online with the salvage parts lookup program.

http://www.car-part.com/

'83 and an '84.  $100 and $125.

Call them and see if you're interested, I'll go and take pictures then get it and mail it to you.  Maybe we'll get both for a deal?  I'm sure they've been sitting for years, money talks out there.  ;)

Its looking like they won't go to waste after all.....

Captain,

Too much warpage + small chambers makes it not doable.

Zed,

I've read about swapping cam and towers, so might be an option , but I'm doubtful.

Cliff,

I talked to them before (Hoke), and seemed nice, but didn't want to ship a cylinder - sight unseen- because of the mess I'm in. I might take you up on looking at some heads if I get to that point-thanks.

if you've got the parts in hand, why not try swapping towers? it's 10 bolts and if you can adjust 'till the cam spins freely you're good to go - if not, well you're right where you are now, so nothing to lose but an hour of your time...

• Like 1

I am going to try it, but after I verify the rest of this head is good. Had to go to work to pay for all this, so I will look into that when I get back!

I have successfully swapped towers and cam from one head to another before....though not suggesting it always works. If your 2nd head is straight and uncut and not cracked, I think there is a good chance can swap towers and cam to it and use it. I installed towers and cam and slowly torqued the bolts in varying sequences while turning the cam and tapping on the towers with a dead hammer. Eventually I ended up with a free turning cam and torqued bolts.