IGNORED

L28+(maxima)47 build

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Oh no! I guess when it rains, huh? I'm sorry to hear about the multiple calamities.

I don't know how to estimate what the change will be to chamber volume with a .015 shave. Are you going to measure the volume, or just guess a reduction amount?

I’m going to just RUN IT!

• Like 2

About a day away from MN/47 part 2. Just finished adjusted chain guides and tensioner to take up some slack! I gained about an 1/8” or so on the chain tensioner which meant the plunger wouldn’t be hanging out as far. I probably have about .030 removed from the total distance , so the slack was real. It actually seemed more prevalent then my L24 set up where I had as much as .050 removed.

This time around I’m installing my newly acquired G- Force T-5 . It has a McLeod hydraulic TOB , we will see how that works . Also bought these sweet CV axles from Datsun Garage. Very nice pieces .

This might be a whole new driving experience ?

DD6B1267-5033-452D-84EB-BCCB4A04C7AC.jpeg

F21A194E-875A-4508-B384-839B1C5E4E66.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I'm missing something, why is there so much slack on the tensioner?  That looks like a new chain, ideally you should not see the plunger at all.

Ideally yes . It also seems odd to me and I am going to re trace my steps again tomorrow . As I said I have quite a bit shaved off the head and .005 off the block , so that would add slack. 
Even knowing that I still scratch my head a little. I even have the shiny links to reference and I also counted pins . 

Back in the hole. Worked on getting my cable throttle hooked up. Pretty stoked the way it came out , pretty much invisible! So glad to be done with the linkage . I went all the way to the pedal too. Feels silky smooth. Now I can completely shave the intake if I want . 

EBCF04AD-C526-4C9C-B016-0DC89C5A6B8C.jpeg

04085A07-8C62-444B-BED0-5959B7E2F4C6.jpeg

• Like 4

Well this build is testing my endurance . Got it up and running and noticed coolant coming out the alternator bracket bolt . 

Tore it back down to find a failed -new- gasket . Material was thin around that particular hole and I guess it wouldn’t hold. First time for that ?

Good news is the motor sounded nasty! My neighbors got to hear open headers for a minute - ? 

9E3F8882-32E6-4AC5-AE8B-FA17DE7EC540.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 9:47 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Man. You just can't catch a break!!   :excl:

Not yet . Put everything back together and drove it and she ran good . Got back home and noticed a puddle of oil under the car after parking . I caught the oil pan seal putting the cover on and tore it. So off with the oil pan . 

Today I drove around and noticed the engine wasn’t building temp. I could hear the fan still turning hard when the engine was cold. Checked to find my clutch fan had gone bad. I’ve had this a long time so I can’t complain too bad - but damn it!

i ordered a new clutch. Currently the engine struggles to get to 170. It has always ran right up to 180 and stayed . Temps dropped around here but I think the stuck fan is prolonging warm period to the point that it’s showing on the plugs - but there’s more.

THEN I drove it some more to find my brakes were weak. Checked out my vacuum was low - why? Eventually found PCV elbow was torn around the clamp . 

Now troubleshooting some dirty plugs on 5&6. Thought the worst - HG- but engine leak down test, coolant pressure test, vacuum test are all good. So at least the long block is sound . Power is great, but could be better . 

Last time I had the mysterious miss it was my fairly new plug wires were bleeding over to each other . This seems similar , but not a dead miss, just carboned plugs . I think I knee jerk reacted to the last issue and went too cold on my plugs. I have 8’s in there now to compensate( at least I thought) for the increased CR. I am putting 7’s back in for now and maybe I’ll find my way back to 6’s yet. I’ll run the 7’s and see if that makes a difference . 

Good things? The new CV axles are great. My clutch MC fix transformed the shifting experience of the car . It lightened the pedal pressure by 25%. 

• Like 2