IGNORED

240Z Serie I Color Wiring Diagram

EuroDat

plugs for harness (Small).bmp

Geezer, Do you know where I can find information on the wire sizes?

Years ago, Dave (Zs-ondabrain)  had taken on the task of compiling a list for the purpose of repairing/duplicating harnesses. I don't know if he had completed the harnesses for the entire car or not. I did come across one of his pages and saved it. He had developed his own connector ID system, added wire color, AWG wire sizes and length of wire runs needed for each leg of the circuits. I really don't know if he wants this posted or not, being part of his livelihood but he did post it previously. Most of that info could be determined by spending the time going over/unwrapping spare harnesses. Biggest problem is the midstream changes made to the harnesses during the early years of production. Lot of variances.7 of 70 engine harness wiring.doc

Edited by geezer

I played around with some terminal blocks. The drawing will be longer. Its the only way to get it in and not clutter it up too much.

The terminal blocks can be numbered for reference in block tables with wire colour and size. The block table would refer to the terminal block and a grid reference to locate the area on the wiring diagram.

Here are some examples. 

post-25317-0-14424600-1425666399_thumb.j

ColorWiring240Z1971Early_TerminalBlockExample06-mar-2015-1.pdf

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1

Guys. I need some help here.

Finding problems with information in the manual, but it might just be me looking at it wrong. Differences in the dash layout drawing and the wiring diagram in the 240Z supplement on the XenonS30 website.

Some examples:

Fuel gauge, Ammeter have four wires: plug in dash layout has 3.

Tacho colours don't match.

post-25317-0-43658100-1425753461_thumb.jpost-25317-0-47888400-1425753473_thumb.j

The blower wiring loom???? Any info please

post-25317-0-70039400-1425754237.jpg

Also: If you can check the Wiper motor, Ignition switch, Acc relay terminal blocks for faults would be great.

Are all the bullets for the reverse sw, flashers and stop sw. in the right direction? 

And a update of the diagram for checks.

Chas

ColorWiring240Z1971Early_TerminalBlockExample06-mar-2015.pdf

This is the problem that I mentioned before. There were many revisions made during the course of the early years of the S30 build. I'm not sure if all the changes made it into print in our manuals and if they did, as in the 1971 Revisions Manual, undoubtedly there will be variations from the previous printing. In a perfect world the harness part numbers would be tied to the relevant drawings with "from - to" VIN guides. That's why there are so many diagrams out there. Some of them are labeled as "early" or "late" or "basic" and that isn't taking into consideration the different models/markets that have other features, such as that "passing relay". Its long been a problem for some of the guys with the very early build 240Zs to find an appropriate diagram for their needs. I haven't proof read your entire diagram and I don't know if anyone could improve upon it or find any mistakes. Most would turn out to be just a case of the diagram not jiving with the particular harness because of changes made. Most of us probably have several versions, I know I do. 

I don't have my Z or any harnesses handy, but the rule of thumb for bullet connectors is, when unplugged the one that is still providing current should be "female" to prevent accidental shorting. Maybe, someone has a car handy, to check.

I think the -20016 service manual has an explanation for the numbered connectors on that blower wiring loom. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: The only info for that particular drawing of the blower wiring loom is on page 27 of the '71 supplement manual. It wasn't in the earlier manual.

54 - Air conditioner power source - Blue

55 - Blower motor power source - Red

56 - Blower motor ground lead - Black

57 - Intermediate wire harness blower switch/motor

Edited by geezer

The original Nissan schematics do not seem to show the connectors properly. For example, here is the tach:

post-7641-14150820206103.jpg

It has 4 bulbs (4 separate connections) and 1 connector (on a pig tail) that has the current loop (white wire above) and the +V (red & yellow) and Gnd (Black) for the tach circuity.

post-25317-0-47888400-1425753473.jpg

The nissan drawing does not show the pigtail or connector details.

Edited by Blue

Okay, all of this talk about color wiring diagrams got me to update my old blog post on the Hazard/Turn Signal/Brake Light circuits.

Since several of you are in the mode of error checking, please send some of that love my way and review my drawing for errors.

https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

Thanks!

Okay, all of this talk about color wiring diagrams got me to update my old blog post on the Hazard/Turn Signal/Brake Light circuits.

Since several of you are in the mode of error checking, please send some of that love my way and review my drawing for errors.

https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

Thanks!

Thanks Steve, Great info. Your circuit diagram reveals some mistakes I made in the terminal blocks.

Chas

Chas, instead of assuming I'm right, point out what the differences are so we can double-check.

With as much of an exercise as it is to do this with CAD or Visio, I admire the work done by our engineering  and draftsman predecessors.

• Like 1

Chas, instead of assuming I'm right, point out what the differences are so we can double-check.

With as much of an exercise as it is to do this with CAD or Visio, I admire the work done by our engineering  and draftsman predecessors.

Steve, I wasn't assuming. Mine was wrong that simple.

It was the two flasher cans with bullet terminals. They should be 90° corner twin spade terminal, if that description makes any sence.

I have found some differences between yours mine and some original datsun wiring diagrams around the hazard (four way) flasher can. See jpeg. You are using a (LY) Blue/Yellow wire, but the wiring diagram states (LW) Blue/White

I ended up just following the diagram in the 71 supplement. Maybe that is not the best route, but the more I looked the more variation I found. So Im now just using the that wiring diagram and the dash layouts in that same supplement.

Maybe we can help each other, but I suspect your will be doing more of the helping ;)

Chas

post-25317-0-82307500-1425833616_thumb.j