IGNORED

Second Owner Of A '71 240Z

mklyons

Hi guys, I'm Mark. I'm from Pennsylvania, but I go to college in Maryland. I'm a sophomore in Computer Science. Through my dad, I've always been around cars. It feels like I grew up at a car show. He's spent his entire career in the auto industry as a dealer, and part of his dealership is a restoration shop. He also collects classic cars. I've always thought old cars looked cool, but I never quite "got it" until I learned to drive manual and he let me drive a 1970 Z/28 Camaro a few years ago, then it made sense. Since then I've really gotten into cars over the years. This past summer I worked in the restoration shop and fell even more in love with these cars.

A few months ago I watched this video which I'm sure all of you guys have seen, and I fell in love with the 240Z instantly. I spent the next few months watching videos and reading about the car. I was surprised by how cheap they were, or at least compared to the American Muscle cars I was more familiar with. They were fast but still also had reliability Japanese cars were known for. I wanted to buy one of my own. I've made some money running a few successful websites and I also run a little phone repair business on campus at school, and I thought I could justify spending some of that on something as cool as a 240Z.

Every year my dad sells cars at Barrett Jackson on Arizona. This year, that lined up with my winter break from school, so I flew out there for the auction. I found an ad for a one-owner, all original (even paint!) 1971 240Z with 70K miles just an hour from the auction. I convinced my dad to drive up with me to look at the car. He tried to tell me not to get excited, 9 times out of 10 cars are just not as described. The car was spectacular. No rust, extremely clean, meticulously cared for, paint just needed buffing, and the owner kept every piece of paperwork imaginable. He had the original window sticker, and there were maintenance/repair receipts dating back to the 80s from the same shop. He even had the original "Another Redlands Datsun" license plate holder. It was amazing. My dad and I got in the car to test drive and he turned to me and said "If you're not buying this, I am." We discussed price with the owner for a moment and I ended up buying it. I got a great deal and I couldn't have bought it from a better guy. He said he was happy it was going to someone who would enjoy it as much as he did for the last 43 years.

I couldn't stop smiling for the hour drive back. It was just such a fun car to drive, and most importantly, it was my car now. 

I wouldn't say it has any "problems", but just a few things to be taken care of. It needs a new rear hatch strut, and the ignition switch sort of locks up frequently. I'll just take it to a locksmith and have him replace the tumblers or something. Like I said, paint needs polishing and buffing and there are a few door dings. I also had an issue with the clutch at the end of driving back, but it turned out just the slave cylinder was leaking. I just bought a new one for $30 from ZCarSource.com, as they turned out to be only 20 minutes away from the auction, which my dad got a kick out of. I also have a few plans for some anti-theft stuff, some of which needs installation. It will stay completely stock, which seems to be pretty unique in itself with these cars.

I plan on doing all this over spring break and then driving back to school. It's 5 hours highway driving and I have a garage I can park it in at school. At the end of the day, I bought this car to enjoy, not worry about all the time. I'm going to drive it conscientiously and take care of any issues the moment the arise, just the way it's been since 1971. 

Thanks for reading, here are a few pictures.

post-29955-0-96081000-1423171585_thumb.j

post-29955-0-13476800-1423171587_thumb.j

post-29955-0-54752400-1423171588_thumb.j

post-29955-0-63430900-1423171589_thumb.j

post-29955-0-56775300-1423171590_thumb.j

post-29955-0-61708400-1423171591_thumb.j

post-29955-0-58943800-1423171592_thumb.j

• Like 1

Very nice indeed!

Mark,you are so fortunate---but then so is the car.

It's great for both of you that you've come together in time and space.

Love that Z car and it will love you back.

Regarding your "sticky" ignition---don't forget that there is a steering wheel lock that should engage when the key is removed. Try wiggling the steering wheel slightly after you have inserted the key into the ignition and see if the key will then turn smoothly into the start position.

It may also be that you should squirt a bit of white graphite onto the key and  then insert it into the ignition. Do this several times, as it will "dry" lubricate the tumblers in the ignition cylinder. Maybe it will help.

Congratulations Mark on your exceptional find and welcome to the best site in the world for knowledge regarding early Z cars and friendship with Z enthusiasts!

Spiffy it up  and meet with us in Memphis in July for ZCon 2015!

All the Best,

Jim D.

"Zup"

That Z looks sweet! I'd keep it stock too. You might want to install electronic ignition but that's the only change I'd make. Where are you in PA?

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Electronic ignition might not be a bad idea. I'm from Erie. 

Sweet looking car and great find. 

Nothing against the mod but I'll counter the electronic ignition item with this: my car has 95k miles, still the original dizzy and fresh points, rotor, ...etc.  Its runs great and dependably pulls all the way to high RPM's; it is strictly a street car.  For track, AX, or other events the electronic ignition may be the way to go.

+1 on the VIN and build date question above.

• Like 1