IGNORED

Would You Pay $400 For Tail Lamps?

TomoHawk

its all relative... building ducati's got me used to seeing $500 price tags for a piece of billet you can hold in your hand. a clutch pack (just the plates, nothing else) runs about $250 and they're only about 6" in diameter. i've literally been in heaven buying parts for the z - they are sooooo cheap in comparison. yes, some rare NOS stuff is pricey, but it ain't nuthin' compared to some other stuff out there.

the other thing to remember is that their are very high costs associated with small run production (and yes, anything under 1,000 parts is very small run) including multiple materials, processes and suppliers. if the quality is as good as folks have been saying, the price seems more than fair.

anyway, it's never really a discussion of cost - it's a discussion about value. otherwise, the world would be driving budget boxes and there wouldn't be exotica and sports machines. one man pays for the value he sees in something, if another man doesn't see the value then the cost is felt to be too high.

ABSOLUTELY! I have bought used JDM taillights out of Australia for that. For yellow turn signals I would absolutely give that! The last set of NOS JDM taillights I think were $1800. So I think $400 is a deal! If it's not your cup of tea, so be it. Many Z owners though love the look of the JDM taillights and as for safer, Americans are use to yellow turn signals so this is probably a step in the right direction too.

Charles

• 2 months later...

I've just bought some JDM Euro spec Blem units to put on my 240Z when it lands in the UK early May, we have to have the amber lens over here for indicators so they'll be some wiring to do too

Every Z owner is at a different part of the journey.  Some just want 4 wheels, others want concourse....sure makes the world a beautiful place.

Yeah. I recently bought new tail light trim from a guy from Ebay, I believe he advertised on this forum also. Was described as " perfect re-chrome" , after recieving it, it's really nice indeed, but there are minor imperfections on the chrome if I look closely.. I guess nothing is really perfect..even for a decent amount of money.

I needed them anyhow, so had no other option really, and I think the people who sell them know that really well..

I bought these JDM spec, whatever that means?, before Christmas this past year.  When I went to put the bulbs in I noticed the sockets only had one contact point for the amber lenses.  I thought I'd be returning them but NO.  Put the dual filament 1157s in and everything worked fine.  They just light up with the turn signal.

250x121-images-stories-240z_restoration-      250x144-images-stories-240z_restoration-

Not bad considering how big and complicated they are. If they're shot, or you get rear-ended there's no choice. I paid $23 for a pair of reproduction lenses for my '63 Chevy panel, doesn't really compare though. Wonder where to buy just one of  the lenses for one side. Couldn't find the lower left one that's slightly cracked.

State Farm adjuster figured $450 for new taillights, but they're still OK for street, so I got a good used hood instead. Maybe someday, if they're still available. A lot of stuff that was available in 2008 is gone.

I got lucky one summer afternoon a few years ago in a salvage yard in Idaho and pulled r ear lights out of a '71.  I will keep them in case of a rear end collision.  That same salvage car yielded the stock steering wheel that is in my car now though it was for a '71 and I have a '70.

Edited by Mikes Z car