IGNORED

New to this forum! Does anybody have any Bilstein inserts for 240z?

No offense, but you might have some misconceptions about the shocks and other parts. The gas in the shocks is there to keep a dry, inert head over the fluid to help keep the oil from foaming. They're called gas "charged". Any lifting the pressurized gas does is secondary to its main purpose. All of the shocks are hydraulic.

Not sure what you're saying about the KYB's. Brand new KYB's can be compressed by hand. There's not much pressure in them. And who wants to take back three year old inventory?

erectorset's point about the urethane bushings is probably true, but for a reason a performance oriented person might not appreciate. The rubber bushings will let the body sway out away from the tire more in a turn. Urethane might hold it where it should be and that could allow a rub during compression.

I think that the only decent bolt-in shock available these days is the KYB. You might be able to get Tokico's but you'll need to buy extra parts or fabricate spacers and/or gland nuts. The others all seem to require some fabrication.

The poly bushings on my 71 240Z caused the car to bottom out over speed bumps and pot holes. The rubber bushings solved this problem. The Koni shocks I am recommending are adjustable and, if one has the patience to keep adjusting them, you can arrive at the ride that feels the best for you.

I recently got new P30-0032 Bilsteins (VW Rabbit) for my Z, along with new gland nuts that fit. Search HybridZ, the info is in there somewhere. I know I posted the part numbers and source in my build thread, "Leon's Other 260Z". Looks like the HBZ server is down right now so I can't link you...

Leon,

Found your thread on the parts, is it the B4-B30-U232B1 part number for the proper gland nuts?

I have stock strut housings, can you enlighten me on what you did for the spacers for the front and rear?

Yes, that's the gland nut P/N. AJUSA was able to source them for me and were awesome to deal with. Another HBZ member recently bought the same stuff and they were able to get it all for him. Hurry, the inserts may still be on sale @ $132/ea! I have not installed them yet and have heard that you may need to slightly shave down the threaded portion of the gland nut in some cases.

If you don't plan to lower your car much, you can use the stock housings. All you need to do is take the appropriate measurements and cut a 1.5" OD pipe to use as a spacer, such as what Tokico does for their rear inserts. ;)

I don't plan to lower it much. The spacer goes in the bottom of the strut - correct?

In my mind, I'm thinking that rear springs with a higher just to offset more weight compared to stock.

Any suggestions for a cheap solution on the rear springs? Even if it's off another Z year, I would prefer close to stock height, but more spring rate, but not too much so that it's a jarring uncomfortable ride.

I've heard of 280ZX springs and maybe cutting them?

What I don't want to get into is all the stuff to offset geometry by lowering the car. This is my 03/70 Z car that I've owned for 34 years, and I'm not going to race it, just fun drives that when I want to get on it, it will perform properly.

Your getting deeper in to the morass. Here's one that people seem to like. The main difficulty is that there may be some trial and error involved to get it where you want it. People start high and work their way down.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/suspension-steering-s30/48249-using-chevette-springs-re-gain-original-ride-height.html

It looks like there may be some original spring stock still out there at the Nissan warehouses. They shows up as available but you don't know until they try to get them.

Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z Front Suspension (Strut & Shock Absorber)

SPRING FRO :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

There is a new option, using Vogtland springs and Stagg shocks, but it's a lowered setup.

Your geometry will only change if you lower it a bunch. It's common to lower these cars about 1 - 1.5" with no problems.

This shop might be your best bet, considering everything. He really knows the cars and has used parts that don't show on his web page. He restores cars. Worth a phone call. 240Z, 260Z, & 280Z #'s 1,2,&3 - 70-73 240 Z=1 - Steering and Suspension 1 - Suspension 1 - Z Specialties Online Store - If we don't have it in stock, we can get it!

And, although you feel like you've been burned by KYB, they do make a good product for stock height applications. You're just hurting your own cause by avoiding them.

If you want Bilsteins, I think the ones you want are P30-0032. I know of one person over here that used them a few years back and Im pretty sure that was the type he used. I have read somewhere that you also need to machine the gland nut that comes with them to get it to fit the strut.

As for springs. To get the original ride height a lot of Zed owners go for the 80-85 corvette springs and cut them to suit.

Here is a thread on Hardways atempts at getting his ride height back to roiginal height with corvette springs.

Chas

Pretty sure you mean "Chevette" springs. Pretty much the same car, right? ;)