IGNORED

Modern injectors, new fuel rail - no heat soak problem

Zed Head

Just another update for those with The Problem. I haven't had a single hot start issue since that one weird episode mentioned above (somewhere). We've had some hot weather here and I drive my car almost every day, multiple trips. It's great to finally have a normal car that I can get in and out of without turning on timers or waiting for the engine to settle down after starting.

Still hoping for more feedback from anyone using the FJ707 or FJ3 injectors, with stock exhaust manifolds.

Backfilling with a realization - the Standard brand FJ3 injector has the "normal" pintle valve nozzle. Only the FJ707T has the odd-looking nozzle.

Weirdly, the more expensive BWD injector has the odd-looking nozzle, BWD 57519P - Fuel Injector | O'Reilly Auto Parts, and the cheaper one has the usual type, BWD 27519 - Fuel Injector - MFI | O'Reilly Auto Parts

In case it matters...

Here's another, from Autozone, that appears to have the odd nozzle. It's the only one they sell. Different brand, GP Sorensen. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/GP-Sorensen-Fuel-Injector/1978-Nissan-Datsun-280Z/_/N-ivfvlZ8vd08?itemIdentifier=79726_2390_0_

Edited by Zed Head

All we can really say is that three(?) people with FJ707T injectors and headers do not have the heat soak problem. FastWoman said that she remembered an occasional heat soak problem with the FJ3's, so maybe it's just the design of the 707T's versus the standard pintle design. Still unclear.

It is interesting though that the big parts stores seem to be narrowing their selection down to that design, in three different brands. Maybe they know something.

Need more data.

Back to perfect......

Edited by Zed Head

I've met a few other gearhead women, so I know I'm not the only one! ;) There were even a couple of others briefly on this list. Some gal with the screen name "Venus?" And I remember engaging some girl at a Radio Shack in discussion over an electronic project on my Z. She told me all about her 80's era Mustang that she had tricked out in every possible way. She enjoyed racing all the the boys and humiliating them. She was talking technologies from another world -- flux capacitor sort of stuff I had never heard of! I was stunned! Heck, if I could only remember where I met her, she might be able to sort out this hot restart issue for us!

When I had my 1st problems with a Z back in the late eighties everybody told me I needed the "280 Lady". This guy had a huge junkyard he started when he came back from some war, Vietnam or Korea I'm not sure but his daughter grew up around cars and used the Zs he bought like go-karts. She's forgotten more than I'll ever learn I'm sure. Her Dad passed away and now she drives a 350Z, no heat soak issues with that. Now her and her siblings are selling off everything for scrap and trying to sale the land for a county landfill, it's about 75 acres of oil and anti-freeze soaked ground. What Zs are left have been robbed of good parts already and nothing older than 280s with N47 heads.

And there's an Alabama girl on hybridz with a V8 swapped car she drag races.

Edited by siteunseen

Hey all! this is great info - thanks Zed Head. I have a '77, have experienced the rough idling when re-starting, heard of this "heatsoak" issue, but honestly never looked into it! Now I'll certainly check out which model injectors are currently in there, and try one of the others mentioned. I always thought replacing the fuel rail with some beefier, finned, aluminum one would have worked, but seeing as the injectors probably have never been replaced, if I can try this solution, that'd be great.

• 9 years later...
On 6/10/2014 at 1:10 PM, Zed Head said:

Just another update for those with The Problem. I haven't had a single hot start issue since that one weird episode mentioned above (somewhere). We've had some hot weather here and I drive my car almost every day, multiple trips. It's great to finally have a normal car that I can get in and out of without turning on timers or waiting for the engine to settle down after starting.

Still hoping for more feedback from anyone using the FJ707 or FJ3 injectors, with stock exhaust manifolds.

Resurrecting this one. I have noticed that with the current higher ambient temps, after driving 15-20 minutes home on the highway (driving spiritedly, probably around 70-75 - speedo isn't accurate, perhaps with the change in profile of 15"tires?) then parking at my Mum's for about 15-20min while I check in on her - I have the symptom described here. I know it's fuel starvation, I can see the AFR's are 16's or higher on the WBO2 controller.

So, back in 2014 the general consensus was Bosch 0280150901's (195cc) with a modified rail, or FJ707T (which look to be stock format fitment?) Trying to figure out if I can live with this for a year, or if I need to address it.

EDIT - for reference EV1 0280155746 are 195cc

Edited by HusseinHolland