IGNORED

1970 240z on CL in Socal.. Damn!

ZcarFanMan

Sorry for the missed opportunity. Have faith, another one will turn up. I mlssed out on a few before I realized that to get one, I had to have cash in hand and move on it before anyone else had the chance. Although I didn't end up with the 240 I wanted, I did find a 260 that has 92,000 miles, a little rust and 2 engines for $1350.00. I don't know how far you'll go for a Z but if the Pacific Northwest is an option let us know what you want and we will keep an eye out for one. Right now I know of a 260 in a barn south of Portland. Mark in Portland

We missed it too a few days ago (jan 14th). Sad story. from my buddy who called:

"#250....husband owned it for 25years, just died, left her with nothing....except a few cars. First guy got it for $1300, little bit of rust, completely original and had offers for more than double that afterwards but person of word....Good one. They are still out there! "

Don't worry about it. In the classic car game we all have plenty of stories about the one that got away. With such a low VIN it will surface again. Hopefully the owner is a member here or will join so we can hear more of the story. Having patience and faith that a good one will come along is the hardest thing about liking classic Z cars. Plus the fact that they are now on so many people's radar is not helping. As discussed many times on here, save your money, be patient, and buy the best car you can buy. Or at least the best body you can buy. Rust repair is the money pit in this cars.

I missed it by a day.. I hesitated to call at first because I was out of town and it seemed too good to be true so I called when I got home yesterday and it sold the day before. The buyer bought it site unseen and told her to hold it.. Damn!! OK, so who got it?

*********1970 Datsun 240Z!!!!*************[/QU

I saw that ad.

I thought it was fake.

Guess not...

• 3 months later...

I came across this 1970 #8992 in reno that a friend has in his wrecking yard. We came to an agreement and I'll get it soon. Minimal rust and all hinges on the car are smooth and squeak free. The interior is blue and nasty. Black will be the color. The odometer shows 79xxx ND the motor cranked no problem. Compression was a nice 150 150 130 120 150 120 and it's the O.G motor. It has a c and the glove box is in perfect shape. No dents and straight bumpers.

The interior is wasted.due to a missing driver side window for the 6 yrs. Floor pans are solid too. I'll post pics when I get home.

Under 1500.00

post-25654-14150828414039_thumb.jpg

post-25654-14150828414503_thumb.jpg

post-25654-14150828414962_thumb.jpg

post-25654-14150828415635_thumb.jpg

post-25654-14150828416162_thumb.jpg

post-25654-14150828416618_thumb.jpg

post-25654-1415082841706_thumb.jpg

post-25654-14150828417507_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZcarFanMan

there must be some place on the net that automates craigslist searches and emails you

when "70 240z" comes up.

LOL,

That would be nice & I would be broke! It's a friend of mine. We were talking on the phone about building 1.5L seadoo motors and I said I had a '72 240z I'd rather work on.. He then said "Oh, I have 2 Z's here in my yard". I asked the year and he said "1970 and a 1972". He sent me a few pics and I was like... Errr, ummm, how much? He didn't know what to ask so I didn't throw any numbers out yet. I'm an auto transporter so I made arrangements to work in Norcal for the week and end up in reno to visit him & check the Z. It's UGLY inside! Destroyed! He got the car in a bulk buy along with other cars and metal, that's his biz, wrecking/scrap yard. The guy he got it from had it for 6 years and it just sat outside I assume under a tarp if that.. The guy he got it from was the original owner and it must have been garaged. He said it hasn't been reg'd since mid to late 80's. I took a pic of the gas,clutch & brake pedals to show the "light" wear on them which leads me to believe the 79k miles are all it has. The 1972 he has is for sale also, it has a 280z motor in it. Fuel injected and all. It was picked on a little but not much. I didn't get a look at it as I was only interested in the '70. I only have 1 pic of it.

post-25654-14150828421234_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZcarFanMan

i'de buy both if there isn't much rust. do you transport to the midwest or east coast?

haul one out there and double or triple your money. those guys are always looking to find west

coast z's.

I was over at my daughter's house today and an older gentleman (I'm 75) so that is a relative statement, stopped to ask about my 280z. He then told me he has a 1972 240z with 60K on the clock and 100% original. He is the second owner and wants to sell it. He bought it from the 1st owner with 3k miles and has kept it sense then. He says it still has the original spare and tools and the owners manual. I ask what he wants for it and he thinks $12,500. If it as he says what do you guys think it's worth?

He added that he just thru away the window sticker about a month ago. I told him to go dig thru the trash and find it. LOL

He is going to call me the next time he takes it out to drive it. Let me know if 12,500 sounds realistic.

One more thing. He had pictures and the dash is mint.

Edited by jcb