IGNORED

Oil from spark plug hole, smoke at startup only

bajcsi

But I so enjoy taking this motor apart ;) Actually, I enjoy driving my car more. It's a joy and quite peppy.

I was NOT able to do a leak down test tonight. Family duties called and by the time I could, the time was getting on to where I would both the household if not neighborhood with the noise of warming up the car.

I did take all the pictures though. It looks to me like the threads on the plug are basically clean. The plugs themselves, including on #3, show no signs of fouling. The red tint, from what I have read of people complaining about the stuff, is because of the octane booster I run when I don't have access to higher octane gas. Specifically: NOS 12010 Racing Formula Octane Booster - 12 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive... Don't laugh, it does make a difference in how much my knock sense does or better yet, doesn't go off. Anyway, apparently the MMT will do that. I run pretty conservative timing when using this combination.

Here are the pics. I took #3 plug by itself, 1-3, 4-6, 2 pictures of the thread repair and 2 more of the other cylinders. Also, you'll see a little oil or whatever it is where the block meets the head. This looks to come from #3 because before i wipe it up, I can see where it runs down from #3 onto the block/head mating and runs along it.

The other pics are interesting. It looks like they have a little something there but that with the better seal they don't leak. Finally - I checked my oil. After 700 miles, my level has not dropped below the full mark on the dipstick (or at all, for that matter).

Brett

post-13361-14150827322585_thumb.jpg

OK that what they call them. I have heard the mechanics at work complain about them. That is why they like to run the spark-plug down to nothing to avoid risk of damaging the Triton heads. I asked what the problem they have with them. They told me that if the new threads that the sert threads into the block are not perfect it would leak or blow the spark-plug out all together destroying the head (we are talking about triton V8 heads not E31 heads so I don't think were going to blow up a head). They also stated they are a pain to get out unless the plug rips through the head.

Well I guess I should not make you worry anymore until we get more picture and testing done. Honestly I'm hoping it is the sert, because that can be fixed without taking the engine apart.

post-13361-14150827318933_thumb.jpg

post-13361-14150827319531_thumb.jpg

post-13361-14150827320173_thumb.jpg

post-13361-14150827320641_thumb.jpg

post-13361-14150827321286_thumb.jpg

post-13361-14150827321929_thumb.jpg

It may not be "oil" per se, but combustion residue mixed with water and a little unburned fuel. I thought somebody mentioned it, but leakage around the timesert threads, not the sparkplug threads is the likely cause. It looks like the sparkplug gasket is seating on the timesert but nothing is sealing the interface between the timesert and the head. It's easy to overlook the fact that there is actually a channel created along the threads when the screw, bolt or sparkplug is tightened. Tight on one side, loose on the other.

That channel will probably "coke" up and clog itself in short order. But you might also study how the timesert is set in place. If it backs out because it's not set right, that could be a problem. Looks like they seal at the bottom but yours might not have a good surface down there. Or it just needs a good torquing. Maybe they can be retorqued.

++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair,

++ TIME-SERT Frequently Asked Questions ++ Time-Sert thread repair questions and answers for

+ TIME-SERT® SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR KITS + spark plug stripped thread repair kits for spark plug problems, thread stripped spark plug repairs in damaged threads in spark plug hole stripped out approved thread repair, aluminum head spark plug repair

One day, when I was detailing my engine, I noticed an oily residue surrounding each of the spark plugs. I pulled all the plugs out and could see a buildup of

oily grime around each plug hole where the plugs seat into the head. I meticulously cleaned this area, along which the plug threads and threaded hole in

the head. Since that time , there has been ZERO oily contamination at the plugs and that was over a year ago. I surmised that the grime would not let

the plugs completely seat allowing some blow-by of combustion byproducts.

I notice also, although it's hard to tell, that your Timesert doesn't seem to be the copper color of the "flat washer" Timesert. It looks like the silver color of the "taper seat" model. Might be part of the problem.

+++ TIME-SERT® SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR KITS +++ spark plug stripped thread repair kits repair damaged threads in spark plug hole stripped out approved

Dang, that's a good catch. I hadn't thought about that. I need to check out all the links and also ask the shop about replacement. It's been a crazy day at work so I'll take a look at those tonight.

I notice also, although it's hard to tell, that your Timesert doesn't seem to be the copper color of the "flat washer" Timesert. It looks like the silver color of the "taper seat" model. Might be part of the problem.

+++ TIME-SERT® SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR KITS +++ spark plug stripped thread repair kits repair damaged threads in spark plug hole stripped out approved

OK I looked at the pics on a 48" tv because it looked like it was leaking around the sert and the head. After blowing the picture up it rely looks like the sert is leaking. This is a little annoying since a special glue is to be used and the sert should be expanded to keep it from moving. It should not have moved if installed properly and was easier when the head was out. Well I think the problem is found.