IGNORED

Off to ontario!

northernz

• 4 weeks later...

Okay a few more pics! AND........ a date to pick her up!Going to fly out to Toronto and pick her up on May11th!!! Cannot wait to drive her back.

post-17685-0-80178500-1428890246_thumb.jpost-17685-0-88699800-1428890291_thumb.jpost-17685-0-59908400-1428890329_thumb.jpost-17685-0-28634100-1428890358_thumb.j

I am currently looking for a source of track day tape to protect the paint for the drive back .

Should have more pics this week!

I definitely agree on the "Very nice" but the brake reservoirs look correctly placed to me for a series one car.

Very nice! You might want to switch the brake reservoirs around though.

And Mark, enjoy the cross Canada drive, please keep the pics coming

Ha! Duh on my part. Mark is probably scratching his head wondering what this guy is talking about! I knew better than that. Geeze, embarrassing. Guess I didn't pay too much attention to "period one" car. I believe they (Nissan) switched the reservoirs in 72'? Anyway,.......

No worries, the only reason I even noticed was that I had to replace my brake MC last year and the series one MC was about three times the price of the later ones. The good thing was that I did get an OEM one from my Nissan parts guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, picures are getting harder to come by as the build is in it's last week! The carbs are set up, interior panels are repainted and in, some electrical issues have been sorted, new aluminum rear drums had to be machined as they were out of round. She still has to go back to the dreaded body shop for a final wet sand and polish, but I will be at Whitehead Monday morning ready to drive the 3500 km's back to Edmonton! It hasn't really sunk in yet, it's been a lot longher than first anticipated!

Here she is ready for the first test drive last week

post-17685-0-51794700-1430794575_thumb.j

I hope to have more pics this week, if not I'll post some from the drive across Canada, and maybe USA! Can't decide what route to take, but I am leaning towaeds Sault St Marie, then cross the border to cross the top of Michigan. I see some of the US highways are listed as toll roads, I assume you pay cash for these? If any one has any suggestions on the route, I'm listening!  

• Like 2

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/24678-the-long-road-home/

Mark - In 2007 I drove my '73 240Z from Shalimar, Florida to Cold Lake, AB, approx 5,100km total. Two of the best days of driving I have ever experienced were driving through South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana (see above link).

Whichever way you get round the Great Lakes (personally, I'd go south of Chicago on the interstate) I would implore you to take I-90 towards Rapid City (with a detour through the Badlands National Park) and then head towards Alberta. Below is my summary from those two days of driving from the above link: 

My favorite parts of this trip were driving through the Badland National Park in South Dakota and the two-day drive from Rapid City, South Dakota to Great Falls, Montana.

Over the two days between Rapid City and Great Falls we drove over some fantastic roads with spectacular scenery and got to take in two awesome sunsets.

We started out by heading out on a south-west loop to Mount Rushmore. We stopped on the road to Mount Rushmore and took some pics and then proceeded to the Crazy Horse Monument. The visit to Crazy Horse was awesome. They’ve been working on it for 50 years, and it’ll probably take another 100 to finish. The Visitor’s Center there was really well done.

We then proceeded south then east and took the Needles Highway Scenic Drive (SD-87) in Custer State Park. This road was FANTASTIC, though a little narrow at times with quite a bit of traffic. Quite a few hairpin turns with some spectacular views once you get to the summit.

Then it was US-16 (another fun open road) through Hill City and on to Lead. We then went south-east on US-85 to the Spearfish Canyon Highway (14A). This was another AWESOME road (highly recommended) as it follows the Spearfish River towards I-90.

We then put the pedal down on I-90 to get to Devil’s Tower, Wyoming before sunset. Highways US-14 and WY-24 on the way too and from Devil’s Tower were a blast. As we were getting to Devil’s Tower late in the day there was no one on the road. I loved this road as it twisted and rolled through the Wyoming county side. We got to Devil’s Tower just before sunset and got some really nice pics. We then left Devil’s Tower and spent the night in Sheridan, Wyoming.

The next day we blasted on I-90 until we exited onto US-89 towards Great Falls, Montana. US-89 was an INCREDIBLE road!!! With a 70 mph limit you don’t loose much time vice taking the interstate and the roads and scenery were spectacular. We took in another fantastic sunset to finish off an awesome two days of driving.

This will add a day of driving to your trip, but it will be well worth it! I hope you have a great trip!

Sean240Z is 100% correct. Although not in a Z I have done that drive from the Badlands National Park to Red Deer, Alberta and it is as good a he said. Enjoy the drive and keep us posted.