IGNORED

The Long Road Home

Sean240Z

After three awesome years on the Florida Panhandle (driving my Z year round :) ), we're on our way back to Canada at the end of June. I've decided to convoy with my wife and drive my 240Z the 3,000 miles back to Cold Lake, Alberta.

I'm looking forward to the drive and hopefully a break in the humidity when we get away from the Gulf. We'll be spending two nights in Memphis, cause my wife wants to see Graceland. The only other significant stop on route will be Mount Rushmore.

Maybe I'll take some pics on route and post them here. Wish me luck!!!

Thelongroadhome.jpg

Sounds like an awesome drive with the opportunity to get some great pics along the way. It makes me wonder what the longest trip taken in a 240Z is. 3000 miles is going to be a real test for a car of this vintage. I for one would love to hear more and see the pics. Best of Luck to you!!

Cool, sounds like a fun trip.

BTW I just noticed that you were in Shalimar. I went to college with a girl who grew up there and drove my 240Z from here in Atlanta down to visit her back in 1989. I looked both of you guys up on Zabasearch and her parents still live literally 0.2 miles from you on Poquito Rd. I distinctly remember riding with her in her RX7 late one night in the neighborhood when she sped up and turned off the headlights when approaching a 4-way stop. Claims she learned the trick from her older brother. You can apparently tell if there's another car coming the other way because you can now see their headlights on the road. I was just hoping her brother wasn't out driving that night.

Sean, Be sure to stop off at Devil's Tower in Wyoming...a very interesting place. Also You should stop at the Little Big Horn national monument...a ghostly place. Try to take the native American tour...very different from the usual Custer stuff. Have a great trip, Mike

Wow...the Eglin AFB - Cold Lake CFB shuffle...did that as a 5 year old in 1976...

Maple Flag as a kid in the late 70's used to be awesome...fighters taking off every 15 seconds for a week or two straight...

Have a great drive!

Thanks for the input guys. We'll see if we can make some of the detours you recommended. I'll try and take some pics on route and post them as we go. We hit the road next Saturday, 30 June.

gogriz91 - Maple Flag is awesome. We used to sit on top of the hangar to watch the launches. Pretty awesome when they launch 120 aircraft in the morning and then repeat it after lunch.

- I was at Eglin AFB on exchange with the 46th Test Wing.

ggarrard - yeah we were hoping for Ottawa or Trenton too. Oh well, Service needs come first. I was looking forward to reconnecting with the TIZCC guys too. I have been following Marc Guimonts 450Z build-up (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/563982) though and saw the recent vids. It looks awesome. I can't wait to see it with some paint!

Cheers,

Looks like a great trip Sean. I'm jealous and wish I had the time to do a trip like that, nice and slow and hit all the points of interest. Perhaps one day. BTW, I grew up in the Monterey area, Pacific Grove mostly, and now reside in Santa Cruz. Where did you complete your masters? MPC, CSUMB or somewhere else?

=Enigma= I lived in Monterey for two awesome years. My brother was living in Santa Cruz at the same time, so I spent some time up there too (I loved riding my MTB at Wilder Ranch). I saw every race at Laguna Seca and hiked/mountain biked my arse off. I really wish I could find a way back to the central coast. It's beautiful there. I especially love the drive south from Carmel down the PCH to San Simeon.

I completed a Masters of Science in Aeronautical Engineering at the US Naval Postgraduate School. I made a lot of great friends in the US Navy and also keep in touch with a Brit and a South African I met there.

I really miss Monterey :(