IGNORED

Anyone care to teach me how to change a headgasket?

dpascual1986

If not, you might be able to get back in to running shape with just the timing chain cover work.

I would assume that a gasket is the first thing you think of when joining two parts like these.

the gasket seems to be new, I removed the cover without difficulty, the gasket is undamaged, you can see it in the picture with the broken bolt.

I still need to pull the head

1. broke the dowel pin that secures the cam sproket to the cam shaft. its not a pin is it? its an appendage to the cam, and not replaceable by your noob DIYer?

2. PO screwed the wrong bolts to the fuel pump, it broke through the inside.

3. I might as well, there's only about 10 head bolts in my way now.

You might consider that taking the engine apart is for your learning experience but buying a used, good condition engine (they are out there) to put back in is the economical choice. If the head gasket is new that means the IPO has been in there, which is not a good thing. You've had a poor lubricant running through the engine so there's probably extra wear on various bearing surfaces. You have a variety of broken parts. It's not you vs. the engine anymore, it's you vs. the PO's errors.

What is IPO?

I believe you are absolutely right about poor lube and wear on bearings.. I will put this thing back together for educational purposes and be on the look out for a newer engine.

From what I read, the later 280z engines were preferrable.

Zedhead - what do you think about that dowel pin that I broke?

Edited by dpascual1986

What is IPO?

Zedhead - what do you think about that dowel pin that I broke?

IPO is just a typing error. Zed meant PO (previous owner).

The dowel is a slight press fit in the cam and came be removed. Some say its only needed to locate the cam, and once the cam gear is tightened to specifications, the dowel is no longer needed. I would have it replaced. Dont want to hit a couple of pistons with the valves through bad valve timing.

I agree with Zed Head on buying another engine. Reading what the PO has done so far is scary and now knowing he has also had the head off.

This engine could turn into one of those angry dogs, no matter how much time and care you put into it, it just keeps bighting you.

Chas