IGNORED

fuel pump 78 280z

scotts pearl

I pulled mine apart and cleaned all the crap out of the impeller, check valve and inlet screen. The o-ring was crappy so I replaced it with a new NBR O-ring. I wrote the size down somewhere, but dont have it by the hand atm.

After assembly I tested it via the return line into a container to see what it would produce against the FPR. It was something like one ltr in less than a minute. I might test it again since its easy to do and its been two years since I rebuilt the pump.

It would be interesting to see what the delco pump produces.

Atlanticz have a good tech tip on their website showing the internals. I found that after I did mine:ermm:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuelpump/index.html

Chas

65 psi is plenty, the OE Boschs put out 50 psi. Your Fuel Pressure Regulator will keep it down around 30psi. I've seen a lot of people use that pump you have, put it on and rebuild the OE one when you have time. You'll have to get creative when you hang it because it's smaller. If you could find some strips of rubber to shim it in I think it wouldn't be as loud. Maybe an old rubber floor mat?

The delco pump should not be a problem. The original pump discharges the same amount but with a little less pressure.

The FPR will regulate the fuel pressure to 36psi across the injector. What I mean by that is it is a vairiable pressure regulator which is controlled by the vacuum in the inlet manifold. The more vacuum the less pressure needed to maintain the 36 psi across the injector. At idle the pressure will be around 30psi.

This is important because the ECU calculates fuel delivery based on this pressure differential across the injector.

Chas

I drained my tank because I was removing it to get the bumper shocks out.

If you don't wont to drain the tank you can clamp the suction line with a small wood workers G clamp or a pair of vice grips. Its a good idea to protect the hose with some flat pieces of wood. That prevents the jaws teeth cutting into the hose.

Be careful disconnecting the outlet from the damper. If it is still holding pressure it can squirt out until the pressure is gone. Drain it into a bucket or tray. It wont be much, a litee or so (quart gal.)

The connector for the pump in inside behind the passenger seat or disconnect it at the pump.

Chas

Another tip. Make sure you take the gas cap off and release any pressure in the fuel tank before you go opening the system.

If you don't you might run into a situation where fuel seemingly defies the laws of physics runs uphill for no explainable reason. Well there is a reason... The fuel vapor pressure in the tank is pushing fuel up that hill.

Not that this took me two hours to figure out or anything... :stupid: