IGNORED

fuel pump 78 280z

scotts pearl

need help once again. LOL

i poured lucas fuel injection cleaner into my tank and i think it took out my fuel pump. no fuel pressure unless i tap the fuel pump with a rubber hammer.

i have orderd a fuel pump made by delco or delphi? any suggestions with this pump and did fuel cleaner take out my fuel pump?

no clue on the fuel pump but thanks for answering my question about the ride height of your car, I just purchased the same wheels and I need to purchase tires iam going w/ the P4 205-60-15 they look great on your car,

thanks for your time

thanks siteunseen. what is the dampners purpose?

The fuel pump has an impeller with 5 cylinders. The cylinders are what do the pumping and cause small pulses in the fuel pressure/flow. The damper reduces the pulses to a minimum.

Have you checked the pump for dirt and other material blocking the check valves or suction screen?.

The check vavles, suction screen and fuel lines can bock up easily with junk out of te tank. The fuel injection cleaner probably loosened up a lot of dirt and the only way out is through the pump.

Replacing the pump could be a tempory solution if its getting clogged by debris from the tank.

What ever you do, I would fit an in-line fuel filter between the pump and the tank. One you can see the fuel and the elemnt condition. Something like a fram G3 in-line fuel filter would work well.

Chas

You may have already seen this but here's something to read over, Z Car Tech Tips Fram G3 Filter Installation. The hoses are a little big but they do tighten up as cesar said. They also have a G2 filter that's smaller and works better on a 240Z but the G3 for my 280. Get some needle nosed vise grips and put small section of hoses over the "teeth" of the pliers so you won't damage the hose coming out of the tank, that'll hold the fuel back while you install it. Get both the filters at Walmart and use the one you like, they're only $3 or $4 each. And like Eurodat says the dampener keeps the fuel pressure steady, no pulses. Walmart also has the can looking fuel filter in the engine bay for $10. That fuel injection cleaner probably loosened up some varnish type sludge in the tank, I would run the pump after putting in the G3 to clear anything out by attaching a 4 foot piece of hose from outbound on the pump to a gas can or something. Then blow the fuel line from the pump up to the metal fuel filter with compressed air, put a towel over the end in the engine bay to catch the gas and stuff.

Oh yeah, there's a small cone shaped filter inside the inlet port of your original fuel pump. Where the hose from the tank goes on the pump. Take that loose and get some tweezers and pull it out, clean with whatever but be damn careful because they're fragile little things. You'll get it figured out.

Edited by siteunseen

The G3 (or generic equivalent) works perfectly on my 78, smack in the middle of the tank to pump line.

The delphi/delco/generic silver pump with white ends does work - I have one and it's just fine, but some folks do note a high failure rate with them. I suspect that part of it could be that they lack the mesh filter over the inlet like the OEM pump. Installing a small filter in the input line will help, but is a great idea for these cars with any model of fuel pump.

When you change the fuel pump, you'll need to prime it or the line in order to get it to pump. The easiest way for me to do this was to install the pump, install the G3 filter in the inlet line and then use my mouth to siphon on the line until the fuel filter had gas in it. Then I went too far and sucked a mouthful of gas, but after that the pump primed instantly and fired the engine easily.

i looked at a g3 fuel filter but it looks to small for line coming from tank. how do i make this work? thanks chas

The G3 is smaller than the hose between the tank and the pump, but it will not cause any problems like vacuum lock unless its blocked of course.

I replaced my hose when I had the tank out and the new hose was flexible enough to fit the 12mm barbs (tank and pump inlet) and the 5/16" barbs on the filter.

Chas