IGNORED

1972 Float Adjustment ...

240Z240Z240Z

21 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Excellent. The coughing you're describing is a too rich mixture caused by too much choke. You've figured out that the choke can and should be adjusted to suit the conditions, ambient and engine temperatures. While I'm thinking about it, should you ever want to see if the fuel mixture is too lean (when the engine is warmed up) gradually pull the choke while you're SLOWLY accelerating. If you feel the power increase the mixture needs to be a bit richer. Drive it for a few days or until a new question arises. Oh yeah, have you driven by your old mechanic's shop yet?

Not yet. He still says to leave the fuel mixture screws alone once i get the mixture right as i could damage the seals that are on top of the fuel mixture knobs by raising and lowering the jets frequently.

Right now i am 3.70

Edited by jalexquijano

1 minute ago, jalexquijano said:

Not yet. He still says to leave the fuel mixture screws alone once i get the mixture right as i could damage the seals that are on top of the fuel mixture knobs by raising and lowering the jets frequently.

@jalexquijanoNever heard of that one. Keep in mind that every time the choke is pulled and pushed it lowers and raises the nozzles just like adjusting them with the mixture screws. In my case, 20+ years of pulling the choke on and adjusting the same set of SU's never wore the nozzles out. If he was that concerned about nozzles why didn't he just lube the outside of the nozzles. My guess is, he was afraid that you'd get the mixture set correctly before he did. What other gems of information has he passed on to you. I feel the need to be entertained.

How's it running?

43 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Much better but in order to avoid the backfire heard at the carbs i need to drive it slow until the engine warms up. 

@jalexquijano Actually, I'm glad to hear that you have to drive it slow until it warms up. It's a good habit to get into. Two questions. Does it backfire thru the carbs at full choke and how hard are you pushing the engine when it backfires?

1 hour ago, psdenno said:

Be strong.  Just close your eyes and say, "Ed Zachary" ten times to yourself and you'll feel better.

Dennis

Ed Zachary! Nothing supplies-es me anymore in this this thread. Would your better half consider some online help for me? I've been doing some state funded vocational testing the past week or so and I've answered and arraigned the red and white blocks so many times I'm about to puke. I know now what my parents bitched about all my life when discussing state funded redundancy.  It is not funny now that I'm going through it.

Life is tough. Mr Anheuser and Mr Busch figured that out for me but I didn't get it until this year. LOL